Friday, June 6, 2008

#31

Sometimes making someone else happy can just make your day.
Several weeks ago a friend of mine asked me if I would make him a shirt out of my hand dyed fabric. He had gone online to my store and narrowed his choice of fabrics down to two. I brought him swatches, he made a final selection, took his measurements and the project was born. I did seem to overlook the fact that his measurements indicated that the shirt would need to be sized x-large and that that would require batiking and dyeing 3 yards of fabric. I also managed to forget that I was already pretty busy with my store, getting ready for Renegade, a design project, oh, and, yeah, my kids and husband. Nevertheless I plunged into dyeing the needed yardage and sewing the appropriate seams.


I even found 6 matching vintage buttons in my stash for his shirt.
The night before I was supposed to deliver his shirt though I started to have concerns that the shirt was too big. No one in my house wears an x-large, so it just seemed gigantic to me. I had my husband try it on, but, like I said, he's a medium/large man, so that didn't do much to assuage my concerns.


The next morning I presented Richard with his shirt. He tried it on, and it fit great. He loved it. I loved it. I loved that he loved it. It was just all so good.
Having tried on Richard's shirt though, my husband now wants one as well. I'll gladly make him one, especially if it makes him happy.

15 comments:

Sarah said...

Richard is lucky to have a one of a kind shirt hand dyed by you! The man has some good taste.

Kristin L said...

That is an awesome shirt. I bet Richard looks great in it. (Not that I have any idea what richard looks like, but any guy would have to look hip and handsome it that shirt.)

Tora said...

It is awesome! I'd want one for my husband as well ;-) And lucky you, to have friends around you to really appreciate what you do!

Is there any chance your friendly Richard would pose for a modelled shot..?

Joanna said...

that shirt is just too good! i believe you've found your calling. :)

susan said...

i cannot tell you how many aloha shirst i have made, probably over a thousand...anyway, i always buy, dye, whatever; at least 3 yards per shirt (okay, the smalls and med. you can get away with a little less cause the sleeve fits the fabric folded in half (selvage to selvage lengthwise). they are short sleeved with doule (lined) yoke in back. i really like your fabrics :-) !!!!!!

Liane said...

Wow! It looks great. I'm consistently impressed by your work.

jacquie said...

In awe again...that fabric would make any garment look fabulous. Great job!

Unknown said...

I give you a lot of credit. That was a very nice gift. It looks beautiful, and I'm sure anyone would just love it.

May the time holders grant you extra hours for your efforts. - Don't you think that sometimes it does seem that you get extra time somehow - mostly , however, I find it goes the other way.

susan said...

i just bought two pieces of your fabric...the swirl and dots both in blue. i cannot wait to get them. i have been thinking about it for awhile and just went for it. mark and i will be going to austin in september...

bettyninja said...

Really that is all we can hope for with the things we make isn;t it? Make someone happy. Very simple. It came out lovely

textile_fetish said...

It's amazing. I've made pajama tops and pants for my husband (who is a medium) and it does use a lot of fabric. His last PJ top had a sleeve made of a completely different fabric, and he likes it that way. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to make something for him to wear outside the house!

Anonymous said...

Wow! The shirt looks even more fabulous in your fabric than I would have imagined! What a great gift!! My husband would love something like that. Of course, I've never made a man's shirt (he's an xxl and 6' 5") and the buttons alone almost send me into a panic. I can just see a very hip boutique, maybe on South Congress or South Lamar, and these flying out the door.... ;-)

Anonymous said...

That is one wicked awesome shirt!

Our Hands For Hope said...

Great job on the shirt. It is a different ball game sewing for someone to wear verses a household accessory. Your fabric looks great though for clothing!

Cynthia said...

My husband was looking over my shoulder when I read this and he said, "Wow, that is a cool shirt!" What pattern did you use? I HATE finding good patterns for men. He is a medium though.