Thursday, January 8, 2009

Whirlwind

That's what the last week has been like.
About 10 days ago someone from Etsy contacted me and asked me if I wanted to be their featured seller starting Monday January 5. For those of you who don't know what that entails, it means having your picture on Etsy's front page along with a link to an interview with you and your shop. Based on what I've observed, it brings in a lot of attention and business. They gave me a few days to answer the interview questions and send a photo of myself and advised me to stock my shop well.
Naturally my first and primary concern was...the photo. This was also a big concern for my middle daughter, Rachel, especially my eyebrows. Rachel has an opinion about a lot of things including eyebrows and according to her, mine were too bushy. I grew up in the era of Brooke Shields and my eyebrows were nowhere near that dense. But, Rachel was insistent that eyebrow amendment was crucial to this photo. So I agreed to let her "work" on my eyebrows. She proceeded to pluck my brows and between the involuntary sneezing it provoked and my exclamations of pain I vowed that I'm never going through that again.


And,don't tell Rachel, but I don't think they look any different.
My feature ran from noon, Eastern time, on January 5 to noon, Eastern time, on January 7 and it was amazing. Yes,I had a lot of orders, but they were dwarfed by the number of inter-Etsy emails or convos I received. So many lovely comments and congratulations. It was really quite stunning.
Thank you, Etsy.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Great to you Malka! I hope this translates into lots of new business for you! BTW, your eyebrows look just fine!

Carmen Rose said...

Congratulations! What an exciting development!

bettyninja said...

That is very exciting! Congrats!

Lauri said...

ROFL at the eyebrow story! I absolutely hate tweezing, too. I also grew up during the Brooke Shields Eyebrow Phase, and everyone used to tell me my eyebrows were just like her's. I didn't think that was such a big deal then, but now that they are getting thinner as I get older, I wish they were still like that! lol!

I think Rachel did a GREAT job...well, I don't know what they looked like before, but they look great now!

Eva said...

Your work is so attractive, I think you deserve a big success!

Amber said...

That's awesome, congrats! I'm so happy with the pillowcase my dear husband got me for Christmas from you. We had a very low key Christmas and I was touched he found something so fun and handmade for me! I love it!

jacquie said...

forget the eyebrows...you look great! i'm so excited to get my fabric...i'm stalking my postman!

Amanda Jean said...

good for you! i love your work. :)

Emily said...

Congratulations! And you look great!

Anonymous said...

you deserve to be a featured seller - i've admired your work for a long time and i think it's totally amazing. congratulations!

Unknown said...

Your work is so inspiring. I just love to come check out what you're up to..and I'm never disappointed!

Ayala Levinger said...

I enjoyed your featured seller interview and still waiting for your book!

brown robin said...

well... I think your eyebrows are quite nice. So funny about daughters. I saw you on the etsy and was so inspired. No... I can't afford to buy lots right now, but I want you to know that your work is extraordinary. It is quite something to create, but to create something that is beautiful AND unique.... that is my dream.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on ALL of your recent accomplishments. I am most anxious to get a copy of your book! Also, your Chakla quilt, it is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you! I have a secret wish to be a featured seller someday, but the full-time mom of toddler thing keeps me from super-stocking the shop! I can't wait to read your interview.
Anna

Helen said...

Your eyebrows look great! Well done on the Etsy front! Well deserved, your work is stunning. :)

Anonymous said...

I discovered your shop through that interview. Your work is so beautiful and inspiring.

Susan Scott said...

I don't know how I missed it! I've been admiring your work for a long time! Since I do a small amount of fabric dying myself, I am totally in awe of your dyed fabric.

Oh, and I have the same daughter/eyebrow situation! Thick eyebrows will be back - don't you worry!

Unknown said...

what great fun! congratulations! I love the photo of you... your daughter is a great plucker... :)
~Emily

Kristen said...

I was so happy to see you featured on etsy as I have been a HUGE fan since stumbling upon your blog! Congrats :)