Thursday, September 17, 2009

Bicycle Backpack

I'll start off by saying that if something looks a little different about this post it's because I've been relegated to composing my text in a word processing program and then copying it to my page. The logical explanation would be that I'm somewhere without a network signal, but that's not the case. I'm at my daughter's swim team waiting for her practice to end and allegedly they have wifi here. Except that every time I've tried to get on the network it's down. This past summer I plodded up here twice a day, once in the early morning and then again just a few hours later for her practice. I wasn't happy about the internet situation.
I may not be winning too much sympathy from many of you who have young children, but I've been there and done that. I've paid my chauffeuring dues and these are supposed to be the good times- when I manipulate my seventeen-year-old-in-need-of-my-car to drive her sisters to their various activities in exchange for a vehicle with gas and insurance paid.

So, where did I go wrong? What am I doing here?

Here's the exchange between my beloved eldest and me:

Me: The great thing about the fall swimming schedule is that you can take Abi up to swim team when you go there.
Her: Except Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Me: What's special about those days?
Her: On Tuesdays and Thursdays we start at 5:00, but she doesn't start until 7:00 and we're done at 7:00 while she doesn't get out until 8:45. Nobody wants to wait.

Nobody that is, but me. Actually I don't want to wait either, but that's what I'm doing.

What does that have to do with my bicycle backpack?
Nothing.

What is a bicycle backpack? I'm glad you asked (my mood instantly brightens).

A bicycle backpack is what you wear on your back when you're riding around and need to carry a few essentials like keys, gym membership card, bike lock, and a phone in case you need to call your husband to help you fix (read: fix for you) a flat tire.



I already have one backpack for this purpose, but lately I've been riding my bike a lot more and Texas can be a sweaty place and I really need more than one. So I designed another. This one includes several necessities such as patchwork, hand dyed cottons, and a cool button as well as a few luxuries like adjustable straps and three deep pockets. I've been so excited about sharing this backpack with you all because

A. I enjoy talking about my craft adventures here.
2. I'm putting together a pattern for this backpack that will hopefully go into my shop next week.

Do you have to ride a bike to make this backpack?
No.
Do you have to even own a bike to make this backpack?
No.
Is this backpack appropriate for your loved ones who only have two hands and therefore need assistance carrying their stuff?
I think you know the answer to that.

10 comments:

Red Pepper Quilts - Rita Hodge said...

Oh I have bike, don't ride it a lot, but I am always looking for a carry bag! This sounds ideal. I love too how a handmade patchwork bag can spark a conversation with likeminded strangers! Look forward to seeing more of the bag!

Rita

Angie said...

I was only saying last week, how dreary my black pack looks, and feels. I no longer have a bike but I love to carry necessities 'hands free'. This project sounds just the ticket, and you make everything look so easy.... Thanks Angie

Cheryl Arkison said...

Does carpooling not work for you guys? That's the only way my parents survived us kids and our totally separate schedules (3 kids at 3 different pools at times.

Unknown said...

oh yes. mum's a taxi here too.

My weekend are spent in the car/on a football pitch/tennis court/rugby pitch.

And then I go home and do the mountain of washing.

Sigh.

Does the backpack drive the car for you?

Aimee said...

Oh, too bad you don't have the pattern done yet. I'm taking a class to the state fair next week and wouldn't it be great if I had a cute new backpack to carry all their odds and ends inside?! I'll be patiently waiting, though! ;)

beth said...

i liked the sneak peak of your backpack...I'm sure it will be a big hit.
And I totally understand the KID thing...I've got the same thing going on here. It's kinda hard to focus when you're also the taxi driver, cook, bottle washer, etc.

lej619 said...

oolala i like
I can use it on my bike. or I should say motorcycle. hehe
besides i just love to make bags.

Pam said...

love the bicycle backpack idea. I ride with my kids and am always hauling something on my back during those trips. looking forward to the pattern.

knittergirl said...

I just found your blog and have already pre-ordered your upcoming book. Very inspiring. Love the colors, shapes, etc. Am looking forward to trying out some fabric dyeing. I think it would be really fun to have a dye day with friends and then make a collaborative quilt. What do you think? One could have a get together once a month to dye up fabrics and then make quilts for the whole group. Fun!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Nice Post. I like collecting different varieties of BackPack. It should be very stylish and of high quality too.