Friday, May 21, 2010

I Heard You

...you'd like me to teach some dye classes. I was initially reluctant to do so because the space I'm renting is not conducive to messy, dye work. So, that means the classes would have to be in my home dye studio, also known as my garage. I've taught dye workshops there before, even several week long camps for kids, but I really like the idea of making a mess in someone else's space, just for a change of pace.



So, my compromise is to offer both. I contacted Ann over at the Stitching Studio to ask her about availability of dates in July for a series of three classes focused on designs I created for Stitch magazine. Those classes are geared to walk you through the process of making either the Tuesday Pillow, the Windows Improv Table Runner, or the Count to Five Baby Book.
You can sign up for just one or the entire series. I'm hoping to offer the classes in July.I'll get back to you all when that's finalized.
BUT...I'm offering a dye workshop in June. This is a 3-hour class where the focus is learning the techniques of patterning and dyeing cotton fabric with wax resist. The class will be conducted in my not-so-luxurious garage on the evening of Sunday, June 13. It will cover applying wax to fabric using veggie stamps, tjanting tools, cardboard stamps, brushes and traditional stamps. I'll teach all about making dye baths, discharging fabric, and, most importantly, working safely.
This class is all about information, not so much finished product. Each participant will gain the experience of trying out all the techniques, but, because of the soaking time required for vat dyes, you won't necessarily walk away with a product. What you will have is loads of knowledge. I wouldn't be surprised if a few heads just explode from the excess amount of information they'll be storing. Maybe bringing a notebook for recording said excess would be a good idea.
Anyway, I'm trying this out. If you're interested, I created a listing in my store. It's called Dyeing to Learn:: Batik. I've limited the class to 6 people so I can lavish attention on each person and there's a minimum of three required for the class to make.
OK. That's it for now.
Have a fabulous weekend!

13 comments:

Rossie said...

oh, this sounds like fun! good luck!

justmisslovely said...

i would love to do the dying class... but unfortunately i'll be out of town. hopefully they'll be a next time!

Andi said...

Wish I could come.
Any chance of a class in Melbourne?
;)

folksmith said...

wish i lived in texas! would love to take your classes. have a good time.

livelovelaugh-cathy.blogspot.com said...

Might be worth the investment of having your classes profressionally video'd. I would certainly pay for them

K said...

Oh, how I love the word "lavish." And wouldn't I love to be in Texas then?

mamiblues (Fina) said...

Me encanta todo lo que haces.
Kisses.

Lasso the Moon said...

I'm too far away, but I'd so be there if I lived in town. Good for you!
Anna

Meghan said...

I really hope some (or all) of your Stitching Studio classes fit into my crazy work schedule, I would love to meet you and learn from you!

Robyn - Coffee and Cotton said...

Oh this class would be perfect! And I live in Austin near downtown. Are you in South Austin?

competitivemum said...

what a gorgeous blog. looking forward to reading more. CMx

Ravenhill said...

oh, that class sounds like loads of fun!!! Love your work, it is always full of joy and color drenched!

Removalist Melbourne said...

That sounds wonderful and a lot of fun. How I wish I could go join your classes. Well then, good luck!