A free, downloadable pattern and purchased fabric does not make for a finished garment, but a little cutting and sewing do.
I did make a few modifications such as stitching the front pleat down completely rather than just at the top and bottom. Also, though I used homemade bias binding, I elected to turn it completely to the wrong side and stitch it in place, so technically I have facings. Other than that though, I was true to the pattern and instructions.
As for options for second or third versions, I can definitely see lengthening the pattern to make this into a great summer dress, belted or not. In fact, don't be surprised if that shows up here in the next few days because, folks, this is Texas, and Spring is very brief.