Tuesday, March 4, 2008

#16

I have another Irma treasure to share. This one is particularly special for a couple of reasons.


The first has to do with the memories these evoke. When my husband was a boy he lived just a few blocks from his Great Aunt Irma. Being that she was an elderly woman and needed help with her garden, he would often go over to her house to pull weeds or plant flowers. Afterwards, she would invite him for tea and cookies. Now, he wasn't much of a tea drinker, but the cookies were pretty appetizing. Irma, however, had this eclectic collection of tea cups and she liked to enjoy her tea in a china cup and saucer.


Even though my husband wasn't necessarily partaking of the tea, he realized that using these special cups transformed this afternoon snack into a delicate repast.


My mother-in-law says this is the teacup that Irma always set out for her when she visited. She remembers how much she loved the roses that decorate the interior of this cup.


This one is my favorite. It's a commemorative cup and saucer from the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.


I have a favorite because I use the cups and saucers. And that's the second reason these teacups are so special; they're still in use. Irma was right. Sipping tea out of these makes something ordinary into a celebration.

4 comments:

Kristin L said...

Fabulous! Irma was a clever and classy lady.

Tara said...

Those are beautiful! When I got off the bus at Grams house (when my mom had to work late), she would have a plate of sliced apples, cheeses, thin sliced ham and crackers AND a teapot full of tea and beautiful cups and saucers like these! Nothing makes a 3rd grader feel fancier than tea out of real tea cups! Thanks for evoking this memory for me!

Brenda said...

Beautiful cups! I have a collectio too, the bulk of which came from my long-time neighbour who no longer had room for them. One of them is gold plated inside and out -- we give it to our special guests. thanks for sharing these.

Anonymous said...

I'm new to your blog. Thanks for sharing your tea cups. They're lovely. I also have a collection from my grammie, great-aunt Omah, and my MIL.
Tea always tastes better in a china cup over a everyday mug anyday.