Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Wee Little Photo Shoot

I had me one of those yesterday. At least that's the way I saw it. I had been wanting to photograph a couple of quilts that I made for this book. I hadn't bothered to take any photos before I sent them off, but now that the book is slated for release in May, I figured I'd take a few pictures and add them to my flickr set. I've tried taking full shots of quilts at home or even in studio settings, but they always seem to lose something. Anyway, I remembered a particular spot in a particular park and thought that using that place as a backdrop would be fun, so off I went...to Williamson County Park in lovely Cedar Park, Texas.


It's actually only about 25 minutes from my house and down the street from where my kids and I swim. It's a very well maintained park with a great trail that winds it's way through the park, past soccer fields, a pavilion, and this being Texas, cow pastures. Along the trail is an old, weather beaten shack. It's not big enough to enter. I suspect that it was some kind of grazing station for the cows before the rich and powerful of Williamson County decided to fence off the pasture on the other side of the trail.


I saw it as a perfect venue to shoot my quilts.

28 comments:

The WoodLand School said...

Fabulous photos of your fabulous quilts! I adore the park, too ...

connie said...

So Cool. These are beautiful. I love the way the wind is showing us the wonderful backing on the quilt. Thanks for sharing these.

Amy said...

You're right -- it IS the perfect site. These are just gorgeous!!!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful - and I already pre-ordered that book from Amazon. So excited that you have a couple patterns in there!

Darci said...

Love where you took the photos. LOVE LOVE the circle blocks....I really need to make those.

Candied Fabrics said...

Fabulous! The blue sky has the same blue as your blue in the XO quilt! Lovely!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, colour saturated quilts.

)And yes... 'colour' is spelled correctly. That's how we do it in Australia!)

Anonymous said...

However, I made a typo with my brackets.

Good on me.

Emily said...

I just love the stripey pseudo-log cabin quilt--Fantastic use of color!

Anonymous said...

Both are fantasic quilts. You really do great work.

jannza said...

Oh, these are ooo, laa, laa, delicious! I think the setting is perfect. The colors of the natural outdoors with your beautiful selections are almost too delightful!

Hena Tayeb said...

great colorful quilt

Michaela said...

What a great spot for photo shoot. Those quilts are beautiful.

Sarah said...

*sigh* I guess I had better budget for that book in May!

Allie said...

How perfect of a backdrop for your quilts! Although no matter where you photograph them, they would look gorgeous. LOVE the saturated color.

Alissa said...

Oh you were so so right! It was the perfect place!! The quilts look amazing!

Andi said...

Beautiful photos of beautiful quilts made with beautiful fabrics.
Inspired!!
Andi :-)

The Calico Cat said...

That might be a corn crib. Either way it is a great back drop.

Anonymous said...

Such a wonderful photo series---the contrast between place and your quilts makes the quilts truly pop. Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

Perfect spot for some beautiful quilts!

Unknown said...

hi,
I am Meera from India.
I chose your blog for a Lemonade Award! Check out my post on March 26th
http://texturedpatterns.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-blog-has-been-awarded.html

Meera

golden star said...

The color in the quilts stand out so wonderfully against the shed. Great work and photos!

Kerry said...

Oh they look so beautiful! And so does the book.

Judy H said...

Love the bright colors against the old weathered wood. Fantastic!

Dot said...

the contrast between the starkness of the site and your quilts is wonderful. The lush colors truly pop.
thank you for sharing.

brown robin said...

those quilts are SERIOUSLY gorgeous. I hope you know that you are destined for big things... really. You are sooo talented.

Victoria said...

I love the juxtaposition of your beautiful bright quilts against the weathered earth and wood. Really striking. Just got my complimentary copy of the book in the mail yesterday, and your work caught my eye right away. :0

ilovebabyquilts said...

LOVE!!!!!!!!!!

Those weathered browns are the perfect counterpoint to your colors.