Sunday, February 7, 2010

It's really not the same in black and white

I just watched The Who perform in the halftime show at the Superbowl. I bet a lot of you did too. But, how many of you watched in black and white? Not that many, I suspect. We're not big TV watchers and we're essentially cheap. These two qualities have conspired to provide us with an old and relatively small screened TV. Since our TV is analog, when the big change to digital happened, we opted to purchase the $40 converter box rather than a new television. In the past couple weeks something has happened to the converter box and we're only receiving signals in black and white. When we first discovered this, I almost enjoyed it. It made me nostalgic for my childhood. I'm not that old, but I have distinct memories of my family's first color TV. The cheap trait is apparently inherited and my parents weren't excited about spending a lot of money on a color TV. So, I grew up watching Richard Nixon resign and Mr Howell ogle Ginger, all in black and white. It was also briefly fun to share the black and white experience with my girls.
The fun's worn off and we're resigned to watching the Colts and Saints battle it out and having to rely solely on the symbols on their helmets for clues as to who is who.
All this makes me want to celebrate color. A desire that's only heightened by the fact that I just came back from seeing Avatar at an IMAX theater in 3D. Wow, what a visual feast. And I say this despite the 3D making me slightly nauseous and forcing me to close my eyes lest I lose my lunch on my fellow movie goers. So, I'm sharing some recent pillow creations that, though uploaded to flickr, I never shared here on my blog.







I realize that the last pillow isn't as colorful as the other two. This black and white thing must really be getting to me.

Roses are RED.
Violets are BLUE.
Watching the Superbowl in black and white,
Would make you sad too.

16 comments:

tammikins said...

I love your post and concur with the Avatar comments! My husband I just watched it on Friday night and I was alternately closing or averting my eyes to the side of the theater to regain some control over my stomach!

Lisa said...

LOL! For what it's worth, the Who were wearing mostly black and white clothes- except the drummer who was in mostly orange. And the lighting effects were in mostly black and white, too.

I love the pillows!

Vicki W said...

I agree, I don't think you missed much from The Who - but the game would have been hard to watch in black and white! I love your pillows!

Amber said...

I love that third pillow - it's gorgeous....

crafterhours said...

I loooooove the last pillow the most!

Apples are red
berries are blue
your post made me laugh
not even kidding! it's true!

Susan

patty a. said...

Yes, Roger was wearing black and white jacket, but the lining was interesting. It must have been a large print - I saw glimpes of red and yellow. The colors in the lighting were pretty, but it probably still looked good in black and white. The pillows are wonderful!

wishes, true and kind said...

While I love the colors in the first two pillows, I also adore that 3rd one. I was just looking at a quilt on Ashley's blog (Film in the Fridge) and her quilt had the same effect on me. While I love color, sometimes a more subtle color palette can be just as effective. As a pillow -- it can still add interest, color, and an interesting design element, without overtaking a room. And sometimes we want an accessory to really jump out. I guess we need both :).

JB Tucker said...

Your pillows are fabulous! Just fabulous. I really like the third one. Wow.

HollyM said...

I love the bright pillows, but the third is beautiful too. I think it's the 'graphicness' that appeals to me.
I know it's not a word, but it says what I want it too, I think.

Mary Keasler said...

I just bought your book and will spend the evening drooling as I turn thru the pages. Your fabrics are simply fantastic. I enjoy reading your blog everyday!

Anonymous said...

Love the pillows--even cooler than Avatar ;)

Cheryl Arkison said...

I think it's hysterical that you watch TV in black and white! And the bottom pillow is just lovely.

EmileeHope said...

Those pillows are adorable! Especially the last one!

FatQuarterQuiltFarm said...

HA! We actually planned our "Avatar at IMAX" for superbowl Sunday....it was amazing..and a big fat day complete with Gyros for lunch before and Dairy Queen for dessert after... but no nausea..( Everytime I've lived alone I had NO TV..)your Pillows are splendid as usual!

Anonymous said...

Malka! Did I tell you about my patterned pillow obsession? Well I have one...I've purchased many on etsy and your shop isn't going to help my condition.

Perhaps I could see Keith Bell and he could charge me mass amounts of cash to help me get over this. I can visualize having enough pillows and not needing anymore.

However, I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. I love the third pillow with the feathers in this post...couldn't find it in your etsy shop. Is there a way I could buy one similar to this...someday?

Take care, see you at da pool!

Cynthia said...

'mr howell ogle ginger' HA! now that is funny. i'm only 36 and we too had a black and white tv. of course, it was our 2nd TV. the main one was in color. ah, the good ol' days!