Thursday, March 3, 2011

Suggestible Me and Probably You

I'm very suggestible, but I would guess that if you're reading this blog and you're passionate about creating, you're pretty suggestible too. I'm so suggestible that I make a list everyday of the tasks that I have to do. Otherwise, I'd spend entire days working on some project that I saw yesterday and got so excited about that I had to make it. NOW!
As an example, consider this dress:
A day before I made it, I was happily knitting a sweater. And then the weather warmed and I thought, hmmm...maybe I need a new dress. I didn't act on it right away as my list clearly stated that one of the day's tasks was to stop by Stitch Lab to drop off some class samples. While I was at Stitch Lab, I noticed the sample dress they had hanging. They offer a monthly dress class and February's dress looked oh-so Springy.
I didn't have a chance to write down the pattern number, but managed to remember it by repeating the pattern name and number multiple times until I got home and googled it. After all that, I decided that, despite how cute the dress was, I'm a little too short for a full skirt and that particular pattern wasn't exactly right for me. But, it was too late. The suggestion had already been planted. I searched around on that same site until I got to this pattern, Butterick B5455. And, there you have it. Pattern purchased, dress made.
A couple days later, I was looking through my contact's photos on flickr and noticed a cute little clutch someone had made. Yup, you guessed it:
Hey, it works with the dress.
You might think someone who spends the entirety of her day sewing and dyeing for work would not be drawn to do it in her off hours, but apparently that's what I see and so that's what I do.
Last night I was at Stitch Lab teaching a class and, with it being March, there's a new dress of the month.
Even as I write this a tab is open on my computer with that pattern.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

The dress is very cute, as is the clutch! I am SO the same way. Working on a project one day and then something else catches my eye. Forget it! I always move on to the next thing. So far, I only have three or four unfinished projects sitting around right now. Not too bad, right?

Sujata Shah said...

I often work in a "if you give a mouse a cookie" mode.. Doesn't take much to get inspired and jump from one project to another..As long as I finish the quilt, I am happy!
Your dress and the clutch, both are cute!

Siobhan Rogers said...

That's a great Dress and clutch :) I have projects all over the place!

mek said...

Spot on with the prediction about suggestibility. Thinking about that clutch...

HollyM said...

It's a sweet and elegant dress and looks perfect on you. I used to sew many of my own clothes but gave up when I filled out int eh wrong places. I'm just too hard to fit.

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

oh, yes, I am suggestible! But, lady, you look so cute in that dress. Certainly a great find! I really want to make myself a dress this summer. Thanks for keeping me inspired.

Char said...

Wow, great dress. I haven't made anything for myself in years. Maybe this year.

Anonymous said...

Cute dress! I so need to make a few things or myself, but have no clue where to start looking for patterns!

Kate S. said...

I am super suggestible. I try to at least make myself finish the thing at hand before letting myself jump into something else... that dress sure is cute though! Now I am tempted to make one too :)

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Malka, the new dress for March looks like you and I'm so glad I'm not the only one that jumps from one project to the next. Love this post.

Anonymous said...

The dress looks great on you. Good pattern choice. Polka dots are fun too. Now you just need some fab jewelry as a final touch!

Sewhappy said...

Well your hooked, for me it is your quilt at the top of this page....it is pleading me to make one. I know it has to be, but other UFO's stand between us. You get it, I get it.

Anonymous said...

Ok, that clutch is amazing and I'm not finding images of it in your flickr stream to add to my favorites to remind myself to make one...help, please?

sewtakeahike said...

love your dress, Malka! Thank you for sharing the pattern #!

Kim Blair said...

What a fabulous little dress! Thanks for sharing the pattern number, it may be the perfect choice for a summer wedding we are attending this coming August.
Kim

Surly said...

I envy how fast you make your creative crushes!! I pine away for months just making my "to make" list longer and longer. That dress is way too cute!!

susan said...

I was in Austin in November/December. I wish I would of had it together to contact you and maybe have met you. I have both your books now :-)
That stitch lab is way kool. I thought the sewing for guys meant sewing clothes for guys, I used to have a busniess just making clothes for guys, aloha shirts, walk shorts and trunks (these two items were from my own pattern). Now that I am loosing weight I want to sew for myself. I love the wrap skirt they are going to do at the lab...is that a pattern than can be purchased?

Purple66p said...

Yes, I'm suggestible, too. Went to Valli & Kim's grand opening this weekend for quilt fabric. Came home with 2 1/2 yards of the cutest knit to make a dress.
P.S. I did get the quilt fabric, too!

Pippa said...

Oh my gosh, I SO know the feeling! I can overwhelm myself with the random projects that pop into my head. The dress turned out beautifully!

Kate said...

oh my goodness. first of all, love you and your blog, second of all love that you know me so well without knowing me. yes, i am suggestible. but i had never defined this part of me before now. yup. I think when I first saw a "mug rug" on flickr the other day my babe had JUST gone down for a nap and before she woke up I had my very own mug rug. ridiculous. but i love it. i love to be suggestible i suppose.