Thursday, February 7, 2008

#9,#9,#9...

Sorry. Couldn't help that Beatles reference.
I'm taking on a first today, though I've been thinking about it for quite a while. I've given myself a photography assignment. Taking pictures is not a new activity for me. I've been doing that for a while and hopefully learning something in the process. But, I've never taken on a "project" before. It's really not that monumental, but exciting for me nonetheless. Truth be told, I've already photographed some of the subjects in my self-assigned project, but I'm still going to count this post as the official start.
I've mentioned before that after my husband's great aunt Irma passed away, we found a quilt top at her house. Now Irma was probably one of the original flappers, so the likelihood that she sewed this top is practically non-existent. Being the only person in the family that sews, I inherited the quilt. I've previously taken and shown pictures of of the quilt blocks and the repurposed pillows I've crafted out of some of them.
I'm lucky enough however to have several items from Irma's vast and eclectic collection of stuff. And that is the focus of my photography project.


These wooden blocks once belonged to Irma's son Mickey. Unfortunately he passed away in the 1960's, but had he lived he would have been well into his 70's or 80's.


Unlike contemporary wooden blocks where the letter is printed on, these blocks feature a beautifully carved and painted letter.


They're just amazing little gems. Also, each block is adorned with a little drawing that corresponds to the letter that's featured on the block.


The blocks were obviously well-loved by the child who once played with them, but I don't think they're sweetness and beauty took his breath away like they do mine.

So here it is. The second and yet first installment of my project. I've added a set to my flickr page exclusively devoted to these images. Check that out if the mood strikes you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The blocks are so lovely. The effort put into each one makes them extra special, in a way current toys never are.

Lauri said...

What gorgeous blocks! Great photos, too!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful blocks...makes me want to learn to carve.