Friday, September 26, 2008

More Circles

Aren't circles grand? I think so. I've been thinking for a while of different ways to make circles and recently decided to try my hand at appliqueing them.


I had originally made these circles and appliqued them on to squares of fabric. My thinking was that I would sew the squares together like I do with my dyed twinkle quilts. But when I tried that it just didn't seem to work. Each circle needed a little surrounding space.


In the end I opted to baste each of the squares on to a piece of hand dyed linen and leave the edges raw. I had this vision that I would "glue" the squares on to the backing fabric with the quilting.


This little square is my feeble attempt to be clever. It's there, but not really. Get it? I did admit the attempt was feeble, but I do like the way it stands out from the other squares.
I'm pretty happy with the way this little quilt turned out and it's sparked all sorts of new ideas. So, expect to see more circles here.

Thanks to all of you who commented on the progress of my king size Twinkle quilt. In answer to those who asked about how I make the circles, I wanted to let you know that I'm working on something to explain that technique and hope to have it ready in a couple months. I'll keep you posted.

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Really great! I like the raw edge look and very tricky on that one square! :-)

Tine Hohl said...

Real clever blue dot - i love it!
Find ich witzig!
And i long for more circles, your ideas are great:) So go on...

Tine Hohl said...

I forgot: even my husband is very impressed by this and your twinkle quilt!
thought you ought to know :)

jacquie said...

this is amazing. i think you might be inspiring me to give some circles a try.

Tamara said...

I have recently complete a circle quilt but used the drunkards path method, this looks so much easier and I love the fraying edges.

FatQuarterQuiltFarm said...

LOve it!!
more more more!!!!!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

great color! what an eye you have for fun colors!

Dorothee said...

What I like most of all is that you always use the same set-up with excellent lighting to present your finished projects.

My bad photography of the different stages of production as well as the finished quilts has been bothering me for a while and I think I need to take inspiration from you. I take it you only snap in good daylight, right?

And obviously, your work is gorgeous too!

Anonymous said...

I want you to know that I thought the secret square was clever before I even read your comment on it. So there. Good job trying a new technique!
Anna