Monday, August 3, 2009

Invincible

That's how I feel. Not because I scaled Mount Everest or swam the English Channel. No, I'm feeling invincible because I conquered my fear of sewing patterns out of magazines. I bought this one back in May. It took a few weeks for me to work up the courage to trace the pattern and add the seam allowances, but I managed to get that done. I even made it through cutting the fabric. And then it sat...and sat...and sat. The instructions in the magazine aren't particularly complicated, but they're not exactly extensively illustrated and, being a visual learner, I really rely on pictures to explain written instructions. Yesterday, I decided that I'd put it off long enough and the time to sew had come.


It was a lot less painful an experience than I expected. What I discovered was that I've sewn enough clothes to be able to fill in the gaps and that I have my own preferred methods for sewing in a facing or binding a seam. That probably adds to my sense of invincibility.
As to my opinion of these patterns in general, I think paying $9 for a magazine loaded with usable patterns is perhaps the bargain of the century provided that this is not your first or even second sewing experience. The patterns are all graded in terms of difficulty, but the absence of hand holding in the written instructions could make them frustrating for a true beginner. If, however, you've sewn a seam or two, then, wow...these are fabulous, eminently wearable clothes. And having taken this step, I'm feeling emboldened to try my hand at some Japanese patterns. If that goes well, I guess I might just get cocky enough to don my suit and dive into the channel.

15 comments:

Rosemoo said...

Looks great! I'm thinking about trying out a skirt or shirt soon but have no guts!

Ashley said...

That is really cute! I'm trying to start sewing for myself again. I'm gonna be on the lookout for good pattens in magazines now.

Tara said...

Looks awesome! I'll be looking for that one! Love the chair your standing on! I covet those old metal motel chairs. I'd like to buy your book, but I'm wondering if you'll have any for sale that are signed closer to release. I'll buy it either way--just wondering.

Tamara said...

Very cute shirt! Is that pattern 05-2009-115? I wasn't sure if I liked it in the mag but I sure like your version.

Malka Dubrawsky said...

Tara- I'll be selling signed copies of my book through my Etsy store when it's released.
Tamara- You've got a good eye. It is that pattern, the shorter version, not the tunic.

mjb said...

I just finished that shirt! I thought I was going to have to make an adjustment after it was finished, but it seems to have sorted itself out. It was my first attempt at Burda too, and I was also surprised how many things I glanced at the directions for but then did my own way.

I made the most simple of Japanese patterns this summer (two pieces - shirt front and shirt back, sleeveless with bias binding) and be assured you can do it too! I worry about more complicated things though since I may be a little bit too tall for Japanese patterns and already have to make the xl to fit into them.

Emy said...

Where did you buy one for $9? I used to buy them all the time when i lived overseas and the only ones I've seen online cost a lot more than $9.

RosaMarĂ­a said...

felicidades!! i have 2 simplicity patterns and i don't make the clothes... is a little scary for me.. i made quilts, but cloth is not the same! i hope follow you!

willow and moo said...

Adorable shirt!

Now that you've conquered the fear of patterns out of magazines, you should check out Ottobre Woman. It has similar type instructions as Burda with very few illustrated directions, but the patterns are great.

Stephanie said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one just a little afraid sometimes. This turned out great, though! Congrats!!

Kathy said...

Love that shirt! I've been following your blog for a while, I love all your patchwork and your clothing is great too! I am currently working on the strips and bricks quilt in a queen size. My 14 year old daughter saw it on Red Pepper's site and fell in love. We loved the simplicity of the design. So thanks for sharing all your wonderful sewing projects. I'll send you a picture when we are done.

Anonymous said...

Since you said you're a visual learner and since you've got some serious sewing experience under your belt, I'd say you have nothing to fear when it comes to Japanese patterns. I've made several garments from Japanese books, most with great success. (When I did have problems it was more of an issue of fit than it was of poor instructions.) This top looks great!

Unknown said...

It looks terrific! I once had a subscription to the magazine and totally agree with you that it's really a bargain!

thatsnancy said...

Dear Malka...thank goodness for your commentary on magazine patterns--okay, so now I don't feel stupid to ask you a question about your Pi Pillow pattern in the new issue of STITCH Magazine.(BTW--I LOVE this pillow!!!!)

I have been poised on the edge of making the pillow for a week--but I was stumped about whether the Pi template piece shown on page 76 of the magazine already included the 1/4 inch seam allowance required when attaching it to the next Pi shape, or not. I was prepared to simply cut out the 16 Pi pieces and go for it, but I couldnt figure out this one issue.

If you can clarify that for me, this weeked just might produce my very own Pi pillow. Thanks!!

Leisa said...

I have the exact same fear- and that is probably why I love quilts so much.. they don't really have to"fit"! Great job- beautiful shirt- maybe I'll try... someday!