Monday, August 31, 2009

It Brings Us Together

The other day I went by my daughter's Orthodontist's office to pick up her retainer. Straightening this child's teeth has been a long, arduous, and expensive process and I've visited this office a lot over the past three years. I've also interacted with the office staff, doctors, and technicians that work there. It must be a decent place to work because there doesn't seem to be a lot of turnover. So, the other day, the technician that approached me to discuss Rachel's retainer was not unfamiliar to me. I hadn't chatted with her before, but I'd definitely seen her there.
At this point in my little tale I should note that I was wearing a top I'd made using this pattern. This too is not unusual as I make a lot of tops and am often wearing something homemade.
The technician approached me and complimented me on my shirt. I thanked her and asked a question about the retainer. In answering my question, she motioned me over to her computer and asked me where I had purchased my top. That's when I got to proudly proclaim that I made it myself, probably one of my top ten favorite statements. The technician smiled and said something that would bring us together not as patient and care provider, but as sisters. She said she loved the pattern, she also sews, and do I remember the pattern number so she can buy a copy.

These pictures have nothing to do with the post. They're just here to look pretty.

Any interest I had in Rachel's retainer, the state of her teeth, or anything dentally oriented flew right out the window. The technician wanted to know if I could recommend other patterns that were fun and easy to sew and, best of all, did I have any preferences for sourcing fabrics. We were speaking the same language. And, as I told her, it's a language I don't speak that often in my day-to-day interactions. She apologized for taking up my time with non-orthodontic questions, but I didn't mind. I was so happy to talk to a fellow sewer, I could have spent the rest of the afternoon there. I even found that I noticed things about this woman that I'd never seen before. Were her eyes always so bright? Had she always had such a great hair color? Her interest in sewing was making her more appealing in general. I was so excited about what she might sew and in what fabric.


When I walked into the office I felt rushed and a little annoyed. This was my second trip there in the same day because they'd taken the mold for the retainer that morning. I just wanted to get what I needed and go. When I left though I was smiling and felt content and happy. It's amazing what finding a kindred spirit and a few minutes spent chatting about seam allowances can do for a hot, summer afternoon.

18 comments:

dottycookie said...

That's a really lovely story to read today!

Unknown said...

I really need to know how to sew in circles! ^^
It´s so difficult! X.x

Sandy Shirley said...

Love your story. At the office where I work, when I carry a bag that's homemade, I get comments, but they are derogatory. As if they look down on homemade items because they don't have the name brands that they are so proud of.

Holly said...

...and isn't that what this fantastic blog community is all about?? It's so great to be able to talk with people who share your passion for fabric, sewing and creating!

wishes, true and kind said...

Love finding a kindred spirit -- and it doesn't happen just every day. As Holly said, that is the fun of online communities that share interests like blogs and flickr groups.

Cheryl Arkison said...

It goes to show that you never know where you might meet a kindred spirit. And proof that everyday interactions, regardless of kindred spirits, are so important.

connie said...

What a nice story. I agree there is something so wonderful about visiting with someone who has similar interests. Especially creative ones, better yet sewing. That is precisely why I love this blog world. Have a great day!

Lori said...

What a great story! That breath of fresh air of finding a kindred spirit is so amazing.

Kristin L said...

I like this story too. It's so great hen we can make connections -- over our craft, our kids, the neighborhood -- just making connections is so healthy. :-)

Unknown said...

Talking with someone who 'gets' your passion - always the best. May you have more days like that!

Victoria said...

Great post! This put a genuine smile on my face. Thanks for sharing!

Deanna said...

Great story :) I recently had a similar experience while a the doctor's office waiting for mammogram results *ugh* -- but anyways, the lady sitting next to me was also a sewer and I complimented her on her bag and asked her if she made it... and we passed 45 minutes talking... I really enjoyed my mammogram appointment! Having the connection of creativity with people is great... especially when it comes to sewing!

Red Pepper Quilts - Rita Hodge said...

It is great how crafting transcends all cultural and racial differences and brings together women from all nations. Through blogging I have "met" some amazing women, who are kindred spirits indeed. What a lovely post.

Rita

jacquie said...

you made my day!

Lisa C. said...

What a charming story! I totally get it! Thanks for sharing it :)

Amy Seven-Stitches said...

It's so wonderful to stumble across fellow sewers and even more wonderful when we see that they have been there all the time. I didn't realise that the mother of one of my daughter's friends was also into sewing until we reached for the same retro pillow case at a thrift store.

Miaou said...

What a lovely, uplifting story! I had the same feeling when my therapist complimented me on my handmade dress, I felt so happy!

Stephanie said...

Amen, sister! I think that's why I love to read these great sewing blogs. I feel so much more connected. My others friends think it's nice that I sew, but have no interest in doing it. I have to remind myself to strike up these types of conversations with others in hopes of meeting more kindred spirits.