Friday, August 27, 2010

The Cupcake Quilt

I had every intention of finishing this quilt so that I could gift it to some friends on the occasion of their new baby. As time got near though, I realized I wouldn't finish it in time for a big celebration they had planned to welcome their new little one. I opted to make the baby a Strips and Bricks quilt instead. I only had a few pangs of guilt as I handed over the quilt. Maybe it wasn't even guilt so much as just a slight shift of expectation. Anyway, they were very happy with the quilt they received and I was happy because I'm a firm believer in handmade gifts, especially for babies.
As the weeks went by and the original quilt remained unfinished, it started to bother me. Apparently wasting time, money, and resources is an even better motivator for me than a sweet, baby face, so I went ahead and finished the quilt.



Being that the the making of the quilt was originally inspired by a little cupcake, I decided to title it The Cupcake Quilt.



Also, if you like this pattern and think you might want to make one in the future, I'll let you in on a little secret: It's a lot like one of the quilts I designed for my new book.
Consider this a wee little teaser.

10 comments:

Luv 2 Kreate said...

The cupcake quilt is FABULOUS!

meecker2 said...

This quilt is absolutely beautiful. I can't imagine the time that went into making it. It's certainly on my list for the future so knowing that a "very similar" quilt will be in your new book is great so I don't feel badly about not trying to figure it out now when I only have about a bookcase full of fabric that should be used up first. Glad you finished it.

Anja said...

How gorgeous!

Oh, I recently received recommendations by this great online bookstore and your new book was one of them - it was directly sent to my wishlist, I look forward to it!

Vicki W said...

It's a cute quilt and looks great in your fabrics!

skye said...

Very sweet & lively! Love the cupcake quilt!!

Sarah said...

Yay a new book! when will we be able to get it?

Meghan said...

So cute! Can't wait for the book release!

Cheryl Arkison said...

Great finish! And I'm still in love with the sewing machine cover on the cover of the book.

Janet Ann said...

I always knew I loved cupcakes!!
Love the quilt - have to get the book!!

María Campaña Ramia said...

is it true that you should not put a baby under a quilt until he is at least a year old? this is what my teacher said.
btw, your work is amazing!