Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Yardage on my Mind

I recently unearthed some really big buckets, the kind that paint comes in, but can be purchased sans the paint at hardware stores. The ones I have never had paint or nothing in them, but were given to me by a friend who was friends with someone who owned a barbecue restaurant. My big buckets used to store pickles, so I've always referred to them as the pickle buckets. Thankfully, the pickle smell dissipated years ago. I'd pretty much ignored these buckets in favor of dishpans for my dye work and that meant that I had to limit my fabric lengths to about 1/2 yard.
Lately though I've been getting quite a few requests for larger pieces. Couple that with the fact that I just patterned and dyed 3 yard lengths to make curtains for my daughter and her college roommate and I've been rethinking using the pickle buckets.



This is the latest piece to emerge from said buckets. I'm planning on using it myself to sew a new dress or top. I haven't decided which yet. But, I'm all about sharing the love, so I'm going to start offering larger lengths in my shop as well. I'm starting with my striped fabrics such as this, this, this, and that. Oh, and this too.
Also, though I know better and I should hold on to these for the Austin Area Quilt Guild Show, I'm adding a few bundles to my store as well. If they go I guess I'll just have to make more...in the pickle buckets, of course.

3 comments:

Dree said...

I am giggling, I worked in a couple of delis years and years ago--and we called them pickle buckets. I used to have some, not sure what became of them. I call them 5-gallon buckets now, because that's what hubby calls them after working construction (years ago too!). In my heart they are still pickle buckets ;)

fabriquefantastique said...

Sounds as if you are having fun

Nifty Quilts said...

Love your fabrics!!