Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Benefits of Reading Email

If I had not read my email yesterday I would have missed out on a lot more than the latest Nigerian diplomat needing my help with a banking transaction. I would have missed out on this:



Like many of you, I subscribe to the Quilting Daily email written by the fine folks at Quilting Arts magazine and Interweave Press. Imagine my surprise when I opened yesterday's email and learned that my quilt, Hexagon String Baby Quilt, was on the cover of Quilt Scene magazine.
Obviously, I knew the quilt and pattern were going to be in the magazine and I knew the magazine was slated to be released soon as it's release coincides with the International Quilt Festival in Houston, but I had no idea that my quilt would grace the cover.
I was pretty psyched about that for a couple reasons. First, it's the cover and that is definitely exciting and second, I figure if the quilt can be featured in an email that goes out to thousands of folks than I have the green light to share my image of the quilt taken back before I sent it off to the magazine.



I've been interested in the idea of super sizing traditional blocks for a while. There's this quilt, created for a tutorial I wrote for Sew, Mama, Sew and this baby quilt that was a byproduct of that tutorial. There's also a super size block quilt and pattern in my new book. This super duper sized hexagon made out of six, string-pieced, super sized hexagons was so fun to design, make, and especially quilt which I did in concentric circles from the center. And I'm pretty pleased with the way limiting the color palette enhances the geometry of the quilt. Plus, I seriously love gray and orange together.
I'll be at Quilt Festival in early November(more about that in a later post) and plan on picking up a copy or two of this magazine. If you want to get yours sooner than that you can pre-order it here.

15 comments:

Cindy @ Creating at Home said...

This is so beautiful! Congrats on making the cover. How exciting!

Robyn of Coffee and Cotton said...

Congrats! What a perfect cover choice.

Molly said...

Congrats on the cover. That quilt is a beauty and so original!

Care said...

Congrats! What a gorgeous quilt!

Frummie said...

WTG Malka! The cover! WOW!

Hugs,

Frummie

Vicki W said...

That's fabulous news!

Cheryl Arkison said...

It is a fantastic project.
I was actually thinking of similar topics - enlarging conventional blocks. Of course I did this while in bed last night, under our wedding quilt where I did just that. Hmm, I guess I should share that quilt one of these days.

Unknown said...

I smiled when I saw the full page ad for your new book in Quilting Arts magazine -- gorgeous, classy. And then their two emails. Outstanding. Congratulations. BTW, your super sized blocks look so good ONLY because your fabric is so unique. But I'll still give it a try this winter!

Malka Dubrawsky said...

Hi Denise- I'm so glad you like the quilt and there's nothing to stop you from making your own fabulous version. All but maybe one or two of the fabrics I used for this quilt are commercial fabrics purchased at my local fabric store.
You can do it!

Esch House Quilts said...

Congratulations on the cover! Love the orange and grey and I also love your supersized block ideas.

I need to make a couple of charity quilts for older children so I may borrow this idea.

Anonymous said...

Awesome quilt! Congrats!

Barb said...

How big is this quilt, Malka? It's hard to judge from the pictures, and I'm curious to know what you consider "super duper size". It's really fabulous.

blimunda said...

This is so beautiful! I must say that the picture you took is much better than the picture of the magazine cover...

Malka Dubrawsky said...

Hi Barb- The quilt is 36" at its widest point. Considering most hexagons pieced into Grandmother's Flower Garden quilts are maybe 2" at their widest point, I figure a hexagon that's 36" wide is super duper sized.

mary said...

Whoopie - many congrats. But then, you deserve it.