Tuesday, September 27, 2011

a stitch in color preview project #7 or what to do with a jelly roll...

...other than eat it. And, actually I'm not talking about that kind of jelly roll, though just the thought is making me hungry. I mean the kind that Moda fabrics creates by packaging 2 1/2" x 44" lengths of entire fabric collections into a single spiraled fabric confection. I wanted to come up with a project that utilizes a jelly roll and doesn't require a lot of extra trimming.
I cogitated about this for a while and then ended up adapting my Strips and Bricks pattern to this purpose.
 The original pattern has the pieces measuring a bit wider, but I used the 2 1/2" widths with the same lengths as the original to create my strips and bricks. I also adapted the color scheme so that it was more like this version rather than the original.
Like both previous versions I  free motion quilted the top in straight lines about 1/4" apart and bound the edges so that the binding matched the outer edge of the quilt.
There you have it, a project that utilizes the tasty jelly roll. Unlike the edible version, certainly true when I'm eating one, this incarnation includes are a few leftover jelly roll bits.

13 comments:

Heather D. said...

Fantastic! I love the blues and oranges together.

Free motioned straight lines, hey? I've yet to try any free motion so I am intrigued by this idea.

Laura said...

Does it feel weird to see your hand-printed and hand-dyed designs now in a commercial fabric? They look great, but I'm not sure if I like them as well as the originals. It's a lot easier for you, though, which I'm sure you appreciate a lot! And easier for people to buy lots of...

Jeannette said...

Really nice. I like how this line of fabrics isn't quite so matchy matchy. It just makes the quilt more interesting.

em's scrapbag said...

These fabrics are gorgeous!

Terri said...

Aw thats So Not Fair :-(
How am I supposed to wait 'til Somewhen 2012 (am across the pond in the uk) for Stitch in Colour?!
When-I-wanna-buy-some Now! Lol.
Fabulous, fabulous collection, just FabUloSo ;-)

Anonymous said...

I love the way these fabrics work together, I've not used just fabrics from one range in a quilt before, might have to!

Jeannette said...

Fun! I love the mix of the strips! BTW I just made your modern baby quilt from your other book, sweet!!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Your quilt is amazing and the fabrics are impressive, really like them. What fun!
best, nadia

Elbow Chronicles said...

Gorgeous!! I absolutely adore the colors - thanks for inspiring me to not be so afraid of bold colors!

property in jaipur said...

fantastic color combinations i like it

Diane said...

I was wondering if this is just 1 jelly roll? I've never used one. Your quilt and colors are very nice.

Anonymous said...

I love this - thanks so much for the inspiration..

Kim Brackett said...

Very cool! Love your new fabric -- can't wait until it's out!