Wednesday, September 7, 2011

What a week!

I wish that title applied to a whirlwind week spent in Paris or Rome, but it doesn't. I have so missed being in this space, posting to flickr, and just generally being a part of our wonderful, little internet community. Why? Because some mean, mean person thought that it would be OK to break in and steal the very modes of communication and expression I use to be in this community.
It happened about 10 days ago. I woke up early in the morning to discover my back door wide open. I'm not talking about just unlocked, I mean the dude/dudette didn't even have the courtesy to close the door behind them as he/she made off with my computer, camera, and purse. How very rude!
This obviously necessitated a visit by a pair of Austin's finest and a trip to the Department of Motor Vehicles as well as a mad scramble to cancel credit cards. Ironically, I got an email later that evening from a neighbor letting me know that she'd found my wallet and much of the contents of my purse including the extra tampon that every self-respecting woman carries. I guess he (and I say he now because if it was a she surely she would have at least grabbed that spare tampon) was looking for cash and, having found little to none, simply discarded my wallet. I'll fill you all in on a little secret: there was cash in the wallet. In one of the outside pockets, I carry my lucky $2 bill. I got it as change several months ago and decided to keep it as a good luck charm. That's practically the first thing I checked and happily my lucky $2 bill is still with me.
What I no longer had was my own computer and my much loved Nikon D80. I solved the camera problem relatively quickly thanks to Amazon and my new computer arrives tomorrow. Today, I'm still on my daughter's, but I already feel a new equilibrium as my buddy, Lee, installed some photo processing software on her computer and now I can bring you these:
As we all know, nothing is more therapeutic than crafting, so, because it soothes me and because I have a deadline, I've been plugging away at the samples I'm making for Moda's booth at Quilt Market.
This is another version of my Shoo-fly Supersize quilt made with my a stitch in color fabrics.
Ahh...that's so much better. I'm glad to be back amongst y'all.

27 comments:

Jan said...

How horrific to have this happen, especially while you we in the house asleep. Glad your wallet and the two dollar bill were recovered. That was a lucky bill!

Judith said...

Oh dear that is horrible. It has happened to me some years ago and made me really angry but one must not let oneself dragged down by those b*****. Life is to short for that.

Shannon said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through that but so glad to know that you and your family are ok!

Jeannette said...

Oh no! I think that is worse than what I thought you were going to say. I thought you were going to tell us about a fire in your area. Perhaps the ones set by the arsonist in NW Austin. Do glad you are ok. Even if you did need to get new "toys".

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

Oh no - so sorry - that is just awful, frustrating and scary.

On the bright side, I am looking SO forward to your new line and seeing what you are making from it for Quilt Market.
Wishing I could be there to see it in person {sigh.}
:)

Niki said...

ARRG! I was "burgalled" once, but was not home at the time. It's shocking that you were actually there. Doesn't it make you feel violated in some way? I'm so glad that you and your family are safe!

vivian said...

Wow-How scary that someone was in your house! Glad you're ok!

diana said...

Auch! I am so so sorry! I don't even wanna think how it would be like to loose everything I have on my computer.

Sending good vibes from the other side of the ocean. Hope you'll be better by the time they arrive :)

stitchinpenny said...

So sorry about the theft. I too have a lucky $2 bill. Mine wad given to me by my father in law about 30 years ago. He had just gotten the whole collection the bank had since they were going to quit printing them. He told me if I carried that at all times I would never be broke. The gift of the obvious silliness caused us both to laugh, but I still have it. I am using mindless crafting today to distract me from my husband's recovery from a simple procedure. The grandbaby gets a new doll quilt qnd I am not fretting.

KendasCrafts said...

Sorry to hear of your burglary. Glad to know you and your family are safe and weren't harmed.

Poppyprint said...

I am very glad you are safe. Curses on the bad guy.

Frog Quilter said...

The nerve of people. What were they thinking?

You sound like you are re-adjusting to life. Always glad to know you are ok and back to task.

Pétra said...

That's so scary! I'm glad you and your family are ok.

carol said...

Heavens......how awful! I'd be scared to death just thinking about it later. Good thing you can put it aside and concentrate on the tasks at hand. Sure glad you're okay!

berylthepearl said...

So shocking! What a mess to recover from. I hope you had files and pictures etc backed up on an external drive. I love your quilts and glad you're back and okay.

verobirdie said...

Sorry for what happened to you. I'm not sure I would take it as well as you... Anyway' i'm glad you are OK.

JEllen said...

So sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation. It certainly can take the wind right out of your sails.

I will share that while you were dealing with all this unpleasant stuff, I was oohing and ahhing over your awesome new fabric collection. My wonderful Moda rep brought us a charm pack knowing Sarah and I would love your designs and colors. And we do!!! It will be so hard waiting until January now.

Hope you're up and running on your new equipment soon.

patty a. said...

I hate hearing that this happened to you. People are just crazy these days. I hope you can figure out how they got in so you can add more locks whatever is needed. So glad no one was hurt or ended up face to face with the robber.

house on hill road said...

oh, malka, i'm sorry. that just sucks. i am glad no one was hurt. xo.

Esch House Quilts said...

How awful and scary to have someone in your house while you were there! I'm so glad you are all OK.

I've been thinking of you as I hear about the wildfires - glad that didn't add to your troubles!

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Oh, I am so sorry, Malka! That is so disappointing and unnerving. Wishing you peace as you process this all.

GerryART said...

In My Opinion, there is no one lower than one who steals another's hard-earned possessions.
My only hope is that the 'favor' is returned to them IN SPADES ! ! !
I love ♥♥♥♥ my laptop, netbook and my NookColor. They are very personal - to have some sneaky-low-life steal them from me is just the lowest thing possible.

Sending Very Good Thoughts your way, Malka.
hugs
Gerry

Anonymous said...

My aunt lives in Briarcliff and cousins in Austin and they said they were ready to evacuate and that Oak Hill got burnt too. Are u all ok ?

Alice R. said...

I'm so sorry, that's horrible!! I was a bit worried as an order from you was not on your usual schedule. Take care of yourself as those feelings can linger.

Donna Gillette said...

So sorry to hear of your loss and home invasion. I can remember when this happened to us several times when I was growing up and my mom would cry and cry. Thought it was odd that you weren't posting and glad to hear noone was injured.

Kate said...

Oh no, thanks goodness for insurance when we need to replace items like those that were taken from you. So glad you didn't have to encounter the hooligan - I have actually never seen a hooligan but I like the sound of the word. And thanks for the pics on the quilt design, I am a new follower.
Kate in Colorado

Darcy said...

That is just gross - glad you are ok and able to replace things. That super-size shoofly is one of my favorite things you've done! Can't wait for your fabric to be out already :)