Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Postcards From Home

A few days ago I discovered a little artist's book that I made years ago. It was simple, spiral bound, and featured a series of postcards of my then home, copied in black and white and hand colored. Each page was a photo of some room in my 800 square foot apartment( it's a pretty small book). On top of each "scene" I collaged a black and white copy of an Annette Funicello paper doll and my then puppy, Sally. The back of each "postcard" had a word or two in greeting and explanation and was sealed with a large lipstick kiss. Despite the fact that the pages all stick together now, I love that little book for the snippets it gives me to a different time in my life.
I've started my next chapter, a statement I could rightly make any day of the week, and I thought I'd share a few snapshots from the past day or so. The move, that is the actual relocation of my stuff from one place to another, is complete. Now begins the unpacking and acclimating and discovering that is the nature of any big change. Hopefully, very soon, I'll have something crafted to share with you, but, in the mean time:
Yard art at a nearby coffee shop/smoothie place/ crepe restaurant.
More...yard art, that is.
Had a citron tree at my old place. It's only fruited twice. This one was on the tree the other day. Let's call it a good omen, OK?
Headstand to commemorate last moments in the old house.
Where I'm writing from today.

I'm going to end today's post with the same words I wrote in my postcard book all those years ago:
Dearest,
Having a great time. Wish you were here.
There really is no place like home.
Love,
XOXO

5 comments:

Susan Turney said...

A brand new adventure! I hope you enjoy all the new beginnings. I remember that one of my biggest thrills after divorce was eating a spoonful of ice cream, putting it back in the freezer, and coming back a few hours later and the carton was still there! It's the little things!

Angela said...

I do envy you Malka. You have taken that step that I really need to take but can't seem to. You are very BRAVE!!!!

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

May the dreams you have for this new space come to fruition and grow strong here.

Aliceart said...

Thank you for sharing, and for the fun little visit today. So wish I could peek in your book; I'm sure it's inspirational.

Anonymous said...

Your post was like a really deep breath and a long, relaxing exhale. Good luck to you! Take care, Byrd