Wednesday, March 17, 2010

New Question: Meaning of Life

I figured since you all were so adept at answering my Target/Liberty of London query, I should take advantage of your collective wisdom and hit you with the really big stuff. :)

It was very enlightening and actually comforting to learn that the Liberty line at Target is not crafted out of the same cotton that's available from fabric stores. I feel a little less idiotic. Especially since I absolutely love, love, love the fabric that I used for my top. This cotton is the most amazing cotton I've ever worked with. It's more like a rayon in terms of drape, but you get the ease of sewing with cotton. I did a little online searching for a retailer that has an extensive collection of Liberty prints and found this. I'm not convinced beyond a shadow of doubt that the fabric merits $36-38 per yard, but it is amazing stuff. I can't buy it everyday or even every month, but I will be buying Liberty cotton again.

Leftovers of my own fabric which, despite being hand patterned and dyed by me still doesn't cost as much as commercially produced Liberty cotton (hmmm? something seems wrong there) have inspired me to make some new striped coasters for my shop.



I've made three sets of four squarish coasters, all improvisationally pieced so each one is unique.



As I was uploading the coaster images to my store it struck me that I've never made a round, striped coaster. I've made striped coasters and round coasters, but never combined the two. You know, like peanut butter and chocolate. I think I'll test this idea out and see if there's a good reason to avoid mixing stripes with circles or if I've hit upon the fabric version of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

One other shop note. I've added several bundles to Ye Olde Etsy Shoppe, several of which include a couple new fabric designs in new color ways.



This one is the only one I have pictures of, but the other new design/colorway is this design in shades of chartreuse and orange.

OK. That's all for now. Have a great day!

6 comments:

LeeleeFL said...

To be honest, I went to Target for other reasons, but I wasn't all that impressed with the Liberty stuff. Like you, Liberty is the fabric as well as the print, and if I can't have both, I'm not going to settle for polyester. The boots and baskets were nice enough, but that wasn't what I went looking for. I am grateful that you fabric is available more reasonably than the real thing Liberty, or a yard spoonflower fabric I've purchased. I find it amazing, but I'm grateful just the same. I want a bunch of your stuff, and now that I finally landed a job, I may just be visiting your site soon. The fact that you share your process so generously is icing on the cake. One day, I'm gonna try it-I just need to get more settled and then watch out world!!!! LOL

A Peppermint Penguin said...

42.


Striped circles. Yes. I just made something with striped circles (green on orange!) and it did turn out very nice indeed.

Cheers,
AJ

Kris said...

Lol! I feel all adept now! Oh, and the meaning of life? It's 42.

Cheryl Arkison said...

Circles in any form are a very good thing. Circles with stripes are indeed fantastic. And what about stripes made out of circles?

Sarah said...

Ooooh, I've been to B&J Fabrics in New York (I'm a Canadian, so it's a big deal to go the the big apple), and their collection of Liberty is to die for. Bolts and bolts and bolts of that beautiful wonderfulness. The bolts are long too, and seeing several yards of it draped over a cutting table at a time? Priceless.

Anonymous said...

Peppermint Penguin and I think alike:

42. It's the answer to the ultimate question, the question of Life, the Universe and Everything. Just ask Douglas Adams.

See, that wasn't so hard!

And by the way, I was also terribly disappointed at LoL for Target when I saw the products yesterday, although I did lust after a beautiful pink umbrella.