Wednesday, December 28, 2011

30 Day Challenge:: Blanket in Progress

I call knitting my fiber hobby. You wouldn't think that someone who sews and designs for a living would want to spend their free time engaged with more fiber, and, truth be told, I don't want to spend all my free time that way, but some of it is definitely devoted to knitting. Knitting also inspires some of the sewing and quilt designs I create. For instance this blanket. The pattern is Abby's Blanket by Kristin Kapur and and though it's not even close to done, I know that seeing it on Ravelry influenced this design. I like that idea of cross-pollination and would love to one day work in the opposite direction and design knitting patterns based on sewing designs.

8 comments:

Katie said...

I completely understand why you spend some of your free time working with other fibers. I love sewing and do find it relaxing, but it has nothing on knitting and crochet. If I'm working up a simple pattern it is almost like I'm meditating. I actually come up with ideas for sewing projects when I'm working with yarn.

Sandy K. said...

I enjoy both sewing and knitting, as well. The difference in texture is fun to work with, I think. This pattern is delightful!

Unknown said...

Scarves...really good at crocheting scarves. Attempting to do a smallish afghan for the sofa...but that might be more of a longterm project.
Toni
www.lifeinapinkbunnysuit.com

meli B said...

Looking good but I am not sure how you are going to go when the blanket gets bigger. You'll need super size needles - or is there a trick to it? I'll just have to wait and see.

Anonymous said...

Off-topic: Is there any blog out there that keeps track of sewing related sales? For example, a $1.99 sale started at McCall's today, but last year at this time they also included free shipping. Also, I hear that Joann's often has $.99 pattern sales, but I don't know when they do it, and there are usually sales cycles that blogs follow. I guess I'm looking for some community featuring favorite products and sales, like Effortless Anthropologie but for sewing: fabrics, notions, patterns, etc. So anything like that out there?

house on hill road said...

i always like the way you use color, malka. this blanket is so bright and cheery!

Leanne said...

That is a lovely knitting project, good luck on your challenge, the colours you are using are great fun.

Elsa said...

Great knitted blanket ~ I just love the version you made, it's really lovely to look at.
I'm a sewist first and then a knitter, I do love, when I'm not busy running around and have some knitting time.