Monday, January 16, 2012

30-Day Challenge:: Abi's Baby Kimono

I was chatting with someone this morning about the role of handcrafted items in contemporary lives. As a sidebar: this was part of an official interview, not the stuff of everyday banter. Anyway, I was mentioning how valuable crafting for ourselves and those we love is, especially in our get-it-super-cheap-at-Target world. That's when I remembered a wee, little wrap shirt that I over-dyed a few weeks before my youngest was born over 14 years ago. I embellished this top with the intent that she wear it home from the hospital. And she did. And it was a bit too big, so she got to wear it a few more times. And then I made another one for the next door neighbor's baby who came along six weeks later. And that's how a stitch in dye was born.
And now it fits easily in the palm of her hands.

9 comments:

Bobbi said...

Oh my goodness. That is the sweetest thing ever.

Richard Healey said...

That is totally cool. My wife is pregnant with a little girl due in march (which is why I started this quilting craze) not yet up to trying clothing but always loved the stuff my mom made for me as a child even if plaid is no longer in style I still looked cute in them.

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com

Erin said...

I love that. Baby clothing is definitely a gate way "drug" for dyeing/batiking!

blandina said...

The baby kimono is lovely, but isn't it moving when our children are holding their baby clothes and we realise how much they have changed and how much time has flown?

Diara said...

This is SO sweet, it must bring back good memories. I fully agree with Aracne. When our daughter had her first baby I sent some of her baby clothes to her - we live oceans apart. I hope you share in a next post how you dyed this? Otherwise you are doing well with the 30-day challenge!

Aliceart said...

Thank you for sharing that; it's a wonderful story.

Kata said...

Please oh please tell me how you did this? Batik dyeing? Its just incredible and I can't wait to make one... I'm due in 6 weeks! feel free to just email me too!

Sophia said...

That is so beautiful:)

Cat @ MaryMarthaMama.com said...

Oh how precious! I truly love and value handmade gifts. My baby inspired my sewing when I became pregnant with him :)