A while back (and by that I mean months ago), a friend commissioned me to make a book bag for her using a mola she had purchased in Honduras. She wanted the mola to function as the flap to the bag.
Sometimes, when I'm asked to make something and then told that there's no deadline, I fail to make that item in a timely way. And sometimes, that's a good thing.
I didn't so much as ruminate over the design of this bag as put it out of my mind. But, like I said, that was a good thing. When I returned to thinking about this book bag, an event which was prompted by my friend wanting to know when it would be done, I realized I didn't want to make it in the same way that I'd made others. I opted to piece the flap, back, bottom and front together and then quilt them as one long piece. I quilted the side pieces and sewed them to the other, already quilted, parts.
I finished the seams on the inside with binding and then bound the flap, sides and front. All that means I didn't need to create a lining for the interior of this bag. It's quilted inside and out.
I really like this simpler construction. And there's something about the quilting line that reminds me of Japanese fireman's coats. Apparently, before the advent of fire retardant clothing, these garments were intensely quilted and soaked in water to protect the firefighter.
OK, it's possible only I see the connection, but, nevertheless, my friend picked up her bag this afternoon and seemed pretty pleased.