Friday, April 13, 2007

Remember When...

Remember when I said I was going to turn my African Folklore Embroidery into a flap for a bag? Well, I did! And I'm so happy with it. I had really been stumped as to what kind of fabric I wanted to use for the body of the bag. Should it be some of my own hand dyed or a commercial fabric I already owned? I just couldn't decide and, also, nothing seemed quite right. Then yesterday, as I was driving to the fabric store to pick up some other stuff, it dawned on me. I wanted the body of the bag to be made out of a Japanese brocade. It just suddenly seemed to be the perfect mix. When I got to the store, it must have been kismet, because I found the perfect fabric in terms of color match. I just knew it was right the minute I saw it. I was so excited, I practically ran home and spent the evening making my bag and here it is:

2 comments:

Kristin L said...

That looks great! Asian and African together seems incongruous, but seeing the similarities in the colors and the perfect scale change proves that you should always be open to the unexpected :-)

Sally Anderson said...

I'm in the process of reading your whole blog, starting with the first post. I just had to say that this fabric you found for your bag is so absolutely perfect that it's amazing!! I "discovered" your blog yesterday and love love love your work. So that's why I'm reading the whole thing. I may comment from time to time but I'll try not to overwhelm you! Oh, a greetings from Houston where it's FINALLY a cool day!
Sally