Monday, May 7, 2007

I'm Ready to Ripple

OK. I'll confess. I can get totally sucked in by other people's enthusiasm. The latest evidence of that is that I've joined the "No-End-in-Sight-Ripple-Along". The blanket I'm currently working on is my first-ever crochet project, but this is my third time to start it. First, I had problems understanding the pattern. Hey, I'm a newbie and it was all Greek to me. Then, after I got the hang of the pattern, I decided that, despite my intention to work exclusively from my stash, I didn't like the way the blanket was turning out. So, here I am at my third attempt(the charm,right?). I'm using Lion Brand cotton ease. It's a 50/50 blend of cotton and acrylic. Usually, I'm a real snob about all natural fiber, but when I saw the colors that this yarn came in, I was sold.I bought it in eight colorways and added a few cotton yarns from stash. This weight of yarn is a much better choice for Texas. Also, since this blanket is planned for use on my youngest's bed, I think it's machine washability is a real plus. This is where I am with my ripple today.

4 comments:

Courtney said...

I bought the same yarn for my ripple (I chose the charcoal gray in place of the light blue, but otherwise I chose the same colors), but I have yet to start. Yours looks great and it just might motivate me to get started.

Anonymous said...

I too get sucked in by other people's enthusiam! I keep looking longingly at these ripple blankets, but I finally decided that the Chevron Scarf was close enough and a more manageable size (I don't even know how to crochet). I'm still entranced by teh granny square blankets too. I keep telling myself that it's basicly a log cabin quilt and that I'd be better off making one of those ;-)

renee said...

Just wanted to say hello to another Texas knitter/crocheter. I live in Houston, but grew up in Austin. (I miss Austin everyday.) It's sort of challenging finding yarn to use for this climate, and I was interested in that Lion Brand Cotton, but I hadn't tried it yet. Do you like it? Is it nice to work with? Did you have to order it on line or did you actually find a store that carries it? Well, I LOVE your colors. I already did one ripple in Sinfonia cotton, but I'm planning another stash busting one soon, (once I finish some other projects that I've neglected) I'll probably end up buying some yarn to supplement my stash, though, which is why I'm curious about the cotton.

Malka Dubrawsky said...

Thanks for all your comments. I'm really enjoying using the the Lion Brand yarn. it's soft and easy to work with. I stumbled upon it at a local craft store(Micheal's), but I suspect that there might be more colors available than the 10 or so they had at the store. I'm going to check the Lion Brand website and see. Also,we've just gotten a Joann's superstore, so there may be more colorways available there.