Wednesday, June 24, 2009

When I Iove something...

...I really love it. Take as an example Simplicity pattern 4589. See, I just typed that without even consulting the pattern envelope. Why? Because I've made the pattern 8 times. Also, when I fall in love with something I want to share that love. Just recently my good friend, Sandy, asked me for a recommendation for a simple, beginner's pattern and, needless to say, I sung the praises of Simplicity 4589. When she accidentally bought the wrong size pattern and was concerned that she wouldn't be able to exchange it, I gave her my copy of the pattern. I did it not because I'm particularly generous, but because I so wanted her to love the pattern as much as I do. And she did. Last I heard, she'd made two versions of this top. What more could I want?
The same is true for the Automated Postal Center at the post office or APC for short. Ridiculous as this may sound, when I first discovered I could send all my domestic packages via this machine and that I could do so any time of day, 365 days a year, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I have since happened upon purchasing and printing my postage via my computer, but I'll always have a special place in my heart for the APC. And, like the sewing pattern, I enjoy letting other people in on this little treasure. When I do have to go to the post office, I can't help but glancing at the addressed packages of those waiting with me in the interminably long and slow line and upon realizing that the person next to me has a package that could be sent via the APC, I think nothing of casually saying, "I don't mean to butt into your business, but did you know that you could avoid this Disneyland-like que and ship your package directly through the APC?" Most people are pretty excited by this bit of news.
Now, I have something new to love. This:


It's my newest cookbook, American Masala by Suvir Saran. See all those post-it page markers laying on top of the book? Well, now the book is inundated with those bookmarks because that's how many of the recipes I plan on trying. Frankly, before I decided to organize my favorite recipes by marking the pages, I'd already made 2 or 3 of the book's dishes. As of this writing I've probably tried and loved at least half a dozen recipes with several made more than once.
Yesterday, I made this recipe not once, but twice.


It's called Indian Chopped Mixed Salad and I made the first version in the morning right after my farm basket was delivered. The dish calls for tomatoes and cucumbers and they were abundant in the basket.


I then made it again last night as a topping for homemade enchiladas. It was delicious. Are you hearing the piercing shrill of my enthusiasm?
The premise behind this book is to craft American recipes like Macaroni and Cheese casserole with an Indian flair and to slightly Americanize traditional Indian foods. The book is well organized and beautifully photographed. And it doesn't call for ingredients that you'd have to literally trek the silk road to find. Here's my suggestion for a perfect day: start off by whipping up a version of Simplicity 4589 followed by a quick trip to the post office to mail packages via the APC, then enjoy making and eating at least one of the recipes from American Masala. I bet you'll doze off that night with a big smile on your face.

17 comments:

Bobbi said...

Speaking of loving something... I love your tile end table. I have the same one. :)

Tally said...

Could this simplicilty pattern be an old, maybe renewed one? I looked at your flickr-picture and immediatly got reminded of a top I sewed back in 1974, being an exchange student in Michigan. :-)
Greetings from Hamburg
Tally

Lori said...

I'm having a freaky blog-ESP kind of day today. My plan for this evening was to go home, attemt this sewing pattern which I've had sitting out for 2 weeks and make my version of an Indian (well, Pakistani since that's where I learned it) Punjabi dish...

Lori said...

oh, and I forgot to say: I love all of your versions of the top!! (and your blog in general... but that's gushing.)

connie said...

I love your blog today. I can just see you smiling as you right about these things. My husband loves cookbooks and I think he would love this. I am off to Amazon...

Corinne said...

You absolutely DO live in the best city in Texas, and perhaps in the whole USA!!!! Our son lives there and we LOVE visiting him twice a year from our "frozen" home here in western New York...smile! I am so happy to have found your blog while visiting another one. I have quilted on and off for 22 years and am especially fond of the "new" look in fabrics. I have visited two quilt shops in Austin, The Quilt Store on Anderson Lane and The Honey Bee Quilt Shop up off of 183. I will pop in on your blog from time to time to see what you are doing!

Lauri said...

Mmmm...you are really making me hungry right now!

dorie said...

oh, funny. I was just looking for and Indian cookbook today, but none looked quite right. I'll have to check this out.

Cheryl Arkison said...

PS I never told you that I love the fabric I ordered. I'm still fondling it.

18chuppahs said...

I just happened upon your blog today and had to smile. About both a)needing to keep working on a quilt pattern you love and b) the magical post office machine. There's a secret post office in a pharmacy near my house (well, that's what i call it although other people seem to be able to see it too)...and the first time I discovered it was a happy moment!

Deb said...

Thanks for sharing your favorite pattern. I've been looking for an easy, breezy shirt pattern and this just may be the one.

Deb--who is also a huge fan of the automatic postal machines

wishes, true and kind said...

Mmmmmm. I will be looking for that cookbook at a bookstore soon! Thanks for the reccomendation!

Unknown said...

The perfect day - You are so funny!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to look for the cookbook thru interlibrary loan. Looks great! And I know exactly what you mean about patterns. : )

Kristen said...

I Love the APC too! and who can resist Indian Food! I am going to have to find this cookbook!!

Kristen said...

a quick question...how does the simplicity pattern run? I have pretty much given up on using the Big 3 patterns as the fit is usually so off....

love the full circle top on flickr!

RosaMarĂ­a said...

your blog rocks!!!! you made beautiful things!!!