Friday, January 31, 2014

Drunken Flower

A few weeks ago I was asked to contribute to a very special charity quilt show. Joanna Figueroa of Fig Tree Quilts sent out a call for quilts to be auctioned off to raise funds for the George Mark Children's House. This facility provides housing and services to children with terminal illnesses and their families. How does someone not help such a worthy cause?
The theme of the show is Red and White Quilts and I was excited to take up the challenge. I'm not much of a limited palette kind of person, but I had an inkling as to how I could take this concept and make it my own.
First off, I knew the quilt would need to be small, primarily because of time constraints. But, I also knew that I wasn't going to make a traditional red and white quilt. I'm not really much of a traditional maker.
What I decided to do was to hint at white through the use of low volume fabrics (made me harken back to an article I wrote in April of 2009 for Quilting Arts magazine about designing with low volume fabrics) and to accent the quilt edges with red binding.
Since I'm super fond these days of rounded edges and I think it gives almost any quilt a fresh, fun look, I curved these corners and bound them in a mostly red print from my Simple Marks Autumn collection.
This little quilt is off to California and hopefully will be part of a bigger effort to raise money for an important cause.

7 comments:

Brenda said...

It's fabulous -- I like the four-petal flower in the middle, the subtle contrast with the background, the rounded edges, and of course the pop of colour in the binding.

Marty Mason said...

Rounded edges....I must try. Great quilt for a worthy cause.

Cindy Sharp said...

Very sweet. Gotta love those rounded edges - so easy to do and they make you look brilliant.

stitchinpenny said...

Amazing!

Sigrun said...

Love your flower! ...and have to try the rounded edges for sure!

folksmith said...

your quilts are beautiful. i rounded the edges of a couple of my quilts and it does give it a different feel.

love your work!

Silvia LGD (Little Green Doll) said...

Wow! It's very nice! :))