Monday, May 4, 2009

More Mini Quilt Monday

It's Monday...in May...so, it must be time for more mini quilts, right? And just to ratchet things up a wee bit, I took some of today's images with my Macro lens. How's that for adding to the alliterative atmosphere?
Before I tell you about my latest mini quilt, I'd like to invite to check out the little lovelies courtesy of Rossie, Marty (she seems to have caught the alliteration bug as well), and Kajsa.
I actually have you all to thank for the inspiration for today's mini quilt. I really appreciated the comments about my Patch Pillow and was buoyed by them to craft a quilt using the same technique. But, because I get bored easily, I decided to add variety by altering a small detail.


From the moment I decided to uses the patches design for my mini quilt, I knew I wanted to round the corners. It's such a little change, but it was the design element I was most excited about.


I couldn't wait to finish the quilting so that I could trim the edges and round them.


The binding fabric is a commercial print I bought at IKEA the other day. I spent way too much time thinking about what kind of fabric I wanted for the binding, but it seems to me that if I'm going to call attention to the edges by rounding them, then I've got to be choosy about what covers those edges.
Also, in response to several of you who expressed an interest in the scraps still lingering in my basket, I've created a new "category" of bundles for my shop .

I've been offering my stitch in dye bundles for a while. These are variety packs of my hand dyed fabric that include 18, 5"x5" squares. They're easy to measure out and add up to a total yardage of about 1/4 yard. I had a bit of trouble deciding how to quantify these scrap bundles. I didn't want to just eye them because I would hate for anyone to feel like they didn't get a fair amount.


But I also didn't want to measure each scrap and then add those measurements up until I got about 1/4 yard of fabric. That did not seem like a good use of my time. I decided to weigh the bundles on my kitchen scale and equalize the amounts that way. The process of weighing the fabric inspired its product name, 1/4 pound bundles. So, there they are, 4 ounces of hand dyed fabric goodness tied together with raffia. I think you'd be amazed how many scraps it takes to make 1/4 pound. I was.
I'll be adding these to my shop later today.
Edited- The 1/4 pound bundles are sold, but there will be more soon!
Happy Monday!

16 comments:

Tiffany said...

How much do these costs? I'd loveeeeeeee to get some!!!

katy said...

Amazing as usual! The rounded corners are great. Thanks for being so kick-ass - I love the eye candy!

Candied Fabrics said...

Yup, that is some beautiful binding - is it all machine stitched? or is the zigzagging just for decoration? I hate hand sewing the binding at the end, but also have been unhappy with my attempts to machine stitch on the binding after I turn it to the back...I'd love to hear details if you want to share!

Andi said...

Love the combination of the crisp straight piecing with the rounded corners.
Fabulous fabrics and colours, as always.
Andi :-)

Sara Berry said...

I took my son to martial arts and when I got back they were all gone! :( I hope there will be more soon--they looked delicious.

Lauri said...

I love the mini quilt Monday's...they are all so beautiful. And I REALLY hope you get some more scraps in your shop fast! I'd love some!

Cheryl Arkison said...

I love that top photo. What hardware is that? I am returning to my desk job and want to install something to display quilts to help keep me motivated.

melissa s. said...

i love this! the rounded corners are so clever!

lily boot said...

Love the rounded corners - now added to my list of things to try - maybe next Monday! I too made a mini quilt for your mini quilt Monday, but I'm not sure how to play along. The link for my post is http://blockaday.com/hopscotch-for-little-people/ Hope this is okay :-)

patty a. said...

Love the little quilt! I have used round corners on several pieces and it always adds an interesting touch. I am a day late and a dollar short for getting a bundle of fabric. Darn! I will keep checking back.

Kris said...

I love your mini quilt! I often drool over your bundles in your etsy shop. One day I will get brave and buy something!!! (I know, how sad that buying online is scary to me! I'll get there!)

Malka Dubrawsky said...

Hi Lily- I'll link to your image next Monday. If you'd like to participate in the future, just send me a link before 10:00 am CST on that Monday and I'll include it in my post.
My email is malka@stitchindye.com.
BTW- I really like your mini quilt. It's very cute.

Goosey said...

Those colours are just lovely, I love really bright stuff and yours is fab

Linda/Thistledown and Co. said...

The mini is fresh and adorable and I so hope you will have more little bundles in your shop again. Love your fabrics and the 1/4 pound idea!

Heather said...

so pretty--happy, delicate and I, too, love the rounded corners:)

l o v e l y d e s i g n said...

i just wanted to say real quick - i really love your work. refreshing, beautiful, and inspiring! keep it up : ) xo sharilyn