Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The New York Times and Me

A few weeks ago I was perusing the Sunday New York Times when I spotted an interesting article in the Sunday Styles section.


Titled, "Hard-Working Dresses", the piece highlighted several Spring dresses that they claimed were stylish and practical because of their versatility. The crux of the article was that in tough economic times shoppers are looking for garments that can be worn both for day and evening and were easy to wear. In scanning the dresses featured, I liked most of them and could imagine wearing almost all of them. I read through the article and, not surprisingly, discovered that the NY Times and I have a different perspective on what qualifies as affordable. No problem though. I had a feeling I could find similar patterns for all of the dresses I liked and make them without shelling out $350 per garment.


Has anyone else noticed that there is an amazing array of great patterns available lately? It didn't used to be this way, but there's more stuff that I'd like to make than time to make it. It's a wonderful time to sew clothes.
Anyway, I found this pattern which I thought was very like the one pictured. I opted to make my dress in just one color rather than the contrasting fabrics in the original.


I used a navy (or purple if you ask my youngest) linen for mine and, in keeping with the feel of the original dress chose the version with sleeves.


The pattern has several nice features including an invisible zipper and generous front facings.
My next version will probably be in cotton lawn and sans the sleeves, but I definitely want to make a second dress. Considering that the original came at a price tag of $350 and I spent $12 for the 3 yards of fabric needed, I'm confident I still have money in the budget to make a few more of these babies.

19 comments:

Cheryl Arkison said...

I'm always in awe of people who can sew clothing. I try, but I have no patience for it.

trentsky said...

*Very* nice, sweetie! Can't wait to see it when I get home tonight.

Lisa A said...

If only we could find the great apparel fabric to go with the great patterns.

Kristin L said...

Oooh, I like that. I love that sewing patterns are keeping up with current fashions these days. Things look less "handmade."

The Winns said...

I love the dress. It looks great! Can I ask where you get your cotton lawn fabric?

Andi said...

Love your work!!!

Niki said...

Bravo. I used to make a lot of my clothes but haven't done so in about 10 years. Thanks for the inspiration. I can't wait to start again.

StudioCherie said...

sweet! you look wonderful

Anonymous said...

That is one super cute dress. I've liked that pattern since I first saw it but wondered about the shaping (like would it would turn out looking boxy?) Yours came out so nice that I may be posting my own version very soon :-)

Unknown said...

a great pattern...it looks very nice!!
greetings
stella

Terriaw said...

What a fabulous dress! It looks great on you!!! I might have to pick up this pattern cuz it looks like a good one.

bettyninja said...

The dress came out really well!! I've been thinking more and more about trying to sew some clothing. I've put this pattern on my to-try list.

Marty Mason said...

Well, aren't you the miss smarty pants (or dress)... Love it.

Unknown said...

That dress is stunning! I love it!

Hazel said...

I'm still a beginner sewer and have made a skirt and a dress for myself. But I'm never 100% happy with the outcome.... It's definitely worth someone recommending a successful pattern! This dress looks LOVELY - well done!

shellysquilts said...

Very cute dress. I had to chuckle myself at their idea of affordable. Well done!

Pattern and Perspective said...

You should make one for me. hehe.
I can't read the pattern brand. What is it? I could try to make this dress for me, though I may just mutilate the fabric:)

Pattern and Perspective said...

Never mind. I clicked into the article and got the pattern name. My brain must be going.

Pippa said...

Its so hard to find a great pattern - I love to see what other people have made from patterns before I buy and make them. I'll definitely have to get this one, and hope it turns out as well as yours! It looks great!