Friday, May 15, 2009

A Quickie

Just popping in to make a little announcement, answer a question and show off a recent FO.

I'm so happy to tell y'all that my book now has an official title, Color You Cloth: A Quilter's Guide to Dyeing and Patterning Fabric. Yay!
If you don't make quilts, do not be fooled. This book is loaded with information that you too can use and half of the projects aren't quilts, so there's plenty for those whose sewing passion is not quilting.

The question has to do with my last post. I mentioned that I was planning on making this dress in cotton lawn. Someone asked where I have found cotton lawn online. As it happens, you can buy some lovely looking cotton lawn from fabric.com. I haven't purchased any cotton lawn yet, but I have bought quite a bit of fabric from this online retailer and I've been very happy with their products and customer service.

OK. Now for the finished object I mentioned. It's big and blob-like, but I like it.


It's the Gum Drop Pillow by Amy Butler. The pattern comes in two possible sizes, 18 and 24 inches. I imagine the 18" version is supposed to be more of a sofa pillow, but I'm a bit suspicious of this reasoning. This shape doesn't strike me as appropriate for laying back on as you relax on the couch. It does, however, make a great ottoman. This one belongs to my youngest. She picked out the fabrics which are, coincidentally, from fabric.com.

Just between you and me, I'm not in love with her choices, but I decided to avoid micro managing the making of her ottoman. The pattern was clear, and easy and, like all of Amy's patterns, incredibly well illustrated. I did make one modification. The original instructions call for you to leave a seam open in one of the panels so that you can add stuffing, then hand stitch the seam closed once the pillow is as fluffy as you like. I opted to put an invisible zipper in that seam instead, so that I could add more stuffing when I felt it was needed. Sure, you could open the seam to do the same thing, but unzipping a zipper is a lot easier.
I'm happy to report that Abi is very happy with her Gum Drop Pillow and that the making of it afforded me endless opportunities to squeal like the gingerbread man in Shrek, "not the gum drop buttons!"

7 comments:

wardstorms said...

I love the gumdrop pillow, very cute

Penny said...

I love anything that is blue. I am likely dating myself but others may remember from another era, the Medicine Ball in phys ed. That was the first thing that popped into my mind. Congratulations on your up and coming book. I will definitely be at the front of the line when it is distributed. I know it will help me be more creative when dyeing or painting fabric. I can't wait! Please keep us informed.
Cheers

Andi said...

I've already discovered your book on Amazon.
So excited I can't tell you.
When will it be available?
Andi :-)

Janet said...

My daughter-in-law saw this pillow on your site and loved it. I see a new project on the horizon.

StudioCherie said...

Invisible zipper - perfect. You are going to have to wash it sometime too!

Cheryl Arkison said...

Is that the Mark Lipinksi fabric? I bought some of the other ones and I do like them.
And I am rather excited to know you have a book coming out! I know a few people who will be getting that as a gift, including myself.

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

their so cool right? I made a couple last week. the only thing is how much stuffing it took to fill the 24"... I like the colors your daughter picked better than my daughters!
http://bumblebeans.blogspot.com/2009/05/fun-projects.html