Sunday, May 31, 2009

Question

If a tree falls in the forest but there's no one there to wrap it in yarn, does it make a sound?
Before you scratch your head in befuddlement take a gander a these pictures.


We happened upon this tree/sculpture as we were riding the Town Lake Trail the other day. The tree had apparently been felled recently in a storm and someone/ones had come along and wrapped its branches in lots of cheap, bright, acrylic yarn. It's really quite amazing. I love it on so many levels. Obviously the fiber connection speaks to me, but I like the public art/anonymous aspect of this project, and the fact that something like this is so quintessentially Austin.
If you live here and would like to see this for yourself, it's on the part of the trail that's just north of the Mopac foot bridge. And, if you go see it and post pictures, let me know. I'd love to see them.

12 comments:

Janet said...

What a wonderful find! I calls out to me as it did to you.

Anonymous said...

I think the concept is called 'Yarn Bombing' and it is excatly what you said - I think it happens all over the globe! :)B

Marty Mason said...

What a treat to wander across something done with such relish.....kinda like a bottle tree. Love it.

Tine Hohl said...

That's amazing - I know an artist and this would be her style, but as she is in germany there art loads of those great spirits in our world.
Thanks for your pics! Love them.

Tine

ezeldabeth said...

you might enjoy this group... they do random acts of knitting.... www.knittaplease.com

Sarah said...

That is SO COOL! And wrapping the yarn wouldn't take as long as knitting something.

Kathy York said...

I love this Malka, thanks for running across it and sharing with us!

Kellininaperkins said...

That is the BEST! I twittered a link to this post Malka. It's awesome! Yarn bombing rocks!

Dale Anne said...

WOW!
LOVELY to look at, must have taken them hours & hours to wrap them.
I'm glad people like you are taking photos & sharing!!!

Unknown said...

just one more thing to make miss living in Austin.

Vickie said...

What an awesome act of random art!And yes, thanks so much for sharing it with us. Is it really called 'Yarn Bombing'? How beautiful to find such a treasure.

Infanta said...

Wow, that is really interesting. I am jealous that you got to see it. I have only read about things like this.