Monday, November 8, 2010

Around the Block this Week

Last week I previewed some of the projects from my soon-to-be-released book, one of which was this quilt. To prove my point that I'm almost never completely done with a design, I'm posting these images.

A customer recently asked me to recreate this quilt. It's basically the Nate quilt but constructed primarily out of squares that have been dyed to look concentric rather than being pieced concentrically. I've done a lot of the dyeing and am ready to start sewing. The blocks measure about 20" square though they're pieced improvisationally so that's a little iffy. The final quilt is supposed to measure about 85" x 91", so I'm figuring about twenty blocks with a maybe an extra row or two should get me close to the desired size.
I thought it would be fun and helpful(for me) to focus this week on posting newly made blocks. Hopefully that will give me incentive to work steadily and avoid distraction as well as reassure me that progress is in fact being made.
And, in hopes of making it fun for you as well, I thought I'd end the parade of blocks this week on Friday with a little giveaway. So, check in to see new blocks, some explanation of the process, and hopefully watch this quilt top get closer to completion.
This is where I am so far:
 Here's hoping they'll be quite a few more blocks on that wall by week's end.

6 comments:

Andi said...

STUNNING!!!!!

fabriquefantastique said...

I always enjoy your blog....always learn something from it.

Joyce said...

I love it! Can't wait to see it finished.

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!! You are such an inspiration.

kim said...

What a fantastically colourful blog. Your quilt literally had me skipping with happiness.
florrie x

One Second Needle said...

What a gorgeous quilt! Thanks for the pictures