Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Book Preview #2

Today's preview from Fresh Quilting: Fearless Color, Design, and Inspiration can best be described as one of my oldies, but, hopefully, goodies. I first created this improvisationally pieced quilt titled Nate's Quilt for a dear friend's new baby.
The first incarnation looked like this:
 My friend's baby Nate is no longer a baby, but an incredibly cute 3 1/2 year old and since then I have returned to this design numerous times to make pillows,
mini quilts,
 and even larger quilts.
And now I'm proud to share it in my new book.
 What strikes me about this design and makes it a favorite that I turn to again and again is that, despite it's improvisational underpinnings it is essentially repeatable and adaptable to a variety of scales. And, if I can repeat it and adapt it, so can you.

What's more it's not about following exact measurements, but making one block and a second and then adjusting the size of one or both, so they fit together. It's about trusting your eye as you freehand cut strips. It's about loving the off-kilter nature of this design and being confident that you can contain it so it doesn't go completely haywire by focusing on solids and adhering to a few basic parameters of construction.
I listed my essential "rules" for embracing improvisation in a little sidebar titled " Ten Ways to Love Improvisational Piecing".
You can read all about them in this post from Quilting Art's blog, Quilting Daily.
Improvisation, whether it's based on a simple block like this modified log cabin or a complicated block like Double Wedding Ring (yes, you can improvise a Double Wedding Ring), is such a fun way to approach quilt making. It's definitely one of my favorite techniques and that's why I wanted to preview this quilt for you. 






15 comments:

KarenB said...

Years ago I gave up quilting because I just couldn't get things "perfect". This definitely looks like my kind of quilting!

Angela said...

this is definitely a "goodie"! Your book looks so beautiful! I can't wait to see it in person!

Marty Mason said...

I'm loving your book reviews. Your book is defiinitely on my Christmas wish list. What a a perfect stocking stuffer that will make for me!

mjb said...

I love this - I make all of my quilts improvisationally to some degree, and it's great that I don't have to worry about "growing out" of it or that somehow I won't be legitimate until I can make my quilts into patterns that other people can follow. I'm excited to see how you've written the directions in this book, though, to translate the feeling into things that other people can follow and use to create things on their own.

Becky said...

Beautiful! What a fun, young quilt!

Andi said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!
(And I love the delicious bundle of your fabrics that arrived in my letter box yesterday. Thanks Malka. They are divine!!!)
Andi x

Kristy said...

How on earth do you improv piece a double wedding ring quilt? I am about to start a traditionally pieced pne for my brother and his fiancee. It would be good to have another plan if it starts to go awry.

Links would be appreciated!

Kristy said...

And I can't wait for the book, it seems like it has been on my wish list for so long!

Judi said...

Wonky love

Lisa said...

Playful and gorgeous!

Quilt or Dye said...

I love this quilt and love that style of quilting. After doing fussy quilting that has to look just so I try and reward myself with fun quilt like this.

Katherine said...

Love the review! Yes, this is such a fun way to quilt. I find it addictive because of the freedom and uniqueness each quilt made this way embodies.

Unknown said...

I do not quilt but this is magnificent!

Robin said...

That is breathtaking....I just love it...I have a dream to learn quilting...Ahhhh someday...right now I just amke belive im quilting with paper and canvas..!! Nice to meet you..!

Wendy B. Ladd said...

When we teach our Color Theory class at my shop early next year, We are going to use your book as a great example of Fearless Inspiration! This book will surely be a MUST HAVE this holiday season!
~ Wendy, The Fabric Quarter