Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Book Preview #3

When I think about it, I'm pretty amazed that the project I'm featuring today is one of my favorites. First off, it wasn't even my idea to design one of these; my editor suggested it. It's not an item I would typically make like a quilt or pillow, yet it is, without a doubt, one of my favorite projects in the book .
 I love this sewing machine cover on so many levels.
There's the simple fact that it's a very practical item. As someone who is forever cursing having to stop sewing so I can brush lint out of my machine, anything that cuts down on dust and drek in there is a good idea.
Also, because I'm always a little tentative whenever I engineer something, I'm awfully proud that I figured out how to insert a piece of cardboard in between the layers so that top of the cover would lay flat on the machine. And, the cherry on top of that is that the cardboard wasn't new or some fancy oak tag, but straight out of my recycling bin.
If I'm completely honest though, I'd have to say the element that endears this item to me most is the patchwork pattern. I based it on a photo of a window I saw in a magazine. I saved the photo and would periodically look at it and wonder how I could adapt it to patchwork. What's funny is that the final pattern is only dimly like the photo, but I guess it was just a jumping off point.
I love this pattern so much that I've already re-imagined it as this:
and this:
There are loads of variations on this pattern and the more it's re-worked the more possibilities are revealed. Maybe that's why I'm drawn to this project. The pattern can be adapted to a host of items in a host of configurations. And that's just what I might come up with. I can't wait to see what others figure out.

13 comments:

Sew Lovins said...

very cute..love the sewing machine cover. The pattern is so cute!

Yael said...

This seems to be a wonderful book! I surely will buy it - already the colors and simplicity of it convinced me!

ayumills said...

I can't wait to get your book, Malka! The sewing cover is definitely I want to make for my sewing machine!

Lisa said...

I know I'm too lazy to ever make something that cute for my sewing machine, but I love that table runner!

Anonymous said...

I'm stoked about your book! I have it on pre-order and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Hege said...

Love the pillow, and cant wait to get your book.. :-)

Fran said...

Great sewing machine cover !
Form follows function ....
just splendid....

Imene said...

beautiful, i love the colors. The sewing machine cover is my absolute favorite!

jessica said...

Love all the photos! What I especially like is the quilting on the table runner. Must try that sometime!

diana said...

There was something I love at the last pilow and couldn't name it. I love the orange/ruby combination but...I just realised why I kept looking at it. I like that you didn't quilt surrounding the central squares, but the other ones. It is gorgeous and suck an interesting ideea for quilting.

Congatulations and thank you for showing us more from the inside of the book.

9patchnurse said...

I love that cover. I 'engineered' a cover once that isn't anywhere near as straightforward and scrumptious as yours. And the cardboard idea is genius! Can't wait to get your book. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

That sewing machine cover is amazing! I need a couple more days in each week to do all the personal sewing I want to do.

Dana said...

can i ask which line of solid fabrics you used for the sewing machine cover?, so difficult to try and match the colours and I really love them. Dana (danaandlee@homail.co.uk)