Monday, November 15, 2010

Two-fold Purpose

Obviously part of the focus of today's post is to announce the winner of the Quilt Scene magazine. Before I do that I want to reveal my very special method for picking a winner. my technique involves sitting in my favorite chair an calling out to one of my girls. Sometimes the one being called doesn't hear me or is, in fact, not home. They are teenagers after all and there have been a few times when after calling their name repeatedly, I set out in search for one only to discover that she's not home. Thank goodness they have phones and I know how to text.
Anyway, I usually continue to call until someone, anyone, responds. At that point I ask them to pick a number based on the number of comments I've received. They don't even know or ask why I want them to select a number between 1 and 131, they just pick one. It couldn't be anymore random than that. Today's number, courtesy of my sweet Rachel, is 113.
That makes Mathea our winner. She said:

The magazine looks wonderful, and I love your quilt, but oh, what I'd give to have real sunlight in November.. :-D

Congratulations! Please email me at malka@stitchindye.com with your mailing address and I will send the magazine super quick-like. Unfortunately USPS doesn't allow me to ship sunlight, so I can't help you with that.

My second purpose is to pass on a bit of quilt inspiration I happened to photograph at Quilt Festival the other week. As I was heading back to my car, I noticed two small buildings across the street from the George R. Brown Convention center.
 Both these little structures are located on a bit of park-like space.  They're very small, so I'm assuming that they're purpose has something to do with controlling the lights or some other technical aspect of the surrounding structures. If someone sees these images and knows what their point is, please chime in because I am curious. Anyway, they've been adorned with the blocks of warm and cool colors.
True confession: when I took the pictures I thought the buildings had been placed there exclusively for Festival. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that, but I figure it's just between you and me.

9 comments:

nanann said...

I don't know the real purpose of those buildings, but I do know that I think they have served as backdrop for almost every pro photographer in the Houston area! And I must admit that I'd love to get my family shot in front of one of them too!

I was going to look Saturday morning of Festival - but forgot - to see if there were lots of photographers & families there.

The name of that park, by the way, is Discovery Green.

nanann said...

well, you inspired me to google.

www.discoverygreen.com/art

Synchronicity of Color

Nationally acclaimed artist Margo Sawyer’s installation graces both exits of the underground garage, with accents at The Grove and The Lake House. The 151 panels hold 1,500 aluminum boxes in 65 colors. The paint on these boxes is also used in under water applications for oil rigs and was gifted by International Paint LLC. Some elements are kamelion car paint color and also Dicroic film, a new technology and application.
www.margosawyer.com

Unknown said...

Funny, I also took pictures of these buildings and the park! What a great community space! I am not from Houston and had never seen it before. I actually wondered if maybe it was a public restroom....But I also thought they were very neat and made me think of a quilt.
Did you enjoy the quilt festival? It was my first time and I loved it!

Jan said...

Malka, I have give aways all the time and I use a system much like yours, I yell for my hubs to pick a number. Sometimes I use Random.org, but usually I use Bob.

Perhaps the building were painted just for Quilt Festival. That would be my assumption.

momto2wasd said...

I couldn't help but think about what great quilting inspiration those are when I saw them! I have a picture of the one on top, too.

Digs (Amanda Carestio) said...

I had the same thought about those buildings, Malka! So funny!

Letterpress said...

Love these buildings--thanks for some delicious eye candy tonight!

Cheryl Arkison said...

That's how I pick my random winners too. Except it is usually my husband.
You are the second person to post about those buildings. Maybe it is the quilting influence in the area?

Bry said...

I am from Houston and I love those buildings too! They are in Discovery Green Park and are actually public restrooms! :D