Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Finish Line in Sight

Race metaphor brought to you today because I ran the local Turkey trot last Thursday. I was super excited about my time...until I learned that the course was accidentally shortened by a half mile and was actually 4 1/2 miles rather than 5.
Today's finish line though is completely under my control. No pace car or confused policemen to screw this up. Today I'm off to the quilt this:
  It's a full size bed quilt for a customer across the globe. She had seen the version that I made my daughter several years ago and asked for one of her very own.
I've mentioned this before here and wrote about it in my new book, but I have to extol the pleasures and time saving nature of renting time on a long arm quilting machine. Quilting this entire top will take me 4-5 hours including "basting", a process that's a lot different and easier on you back/butt than taping the backing to the floor, layering the batting and top, and then proceeding to scoot around pinning the layers together. I'm telling you, long arming is the only civilized way to go.
 I'm hoping to have this bound and photographed for display in this space on Thursday. If I were y'all, I might just check back here then because 1. Thursday is a special day for me and 2. How fun would it be to share some of my special day with you lovely folks. Need I say more? :)

11 comments:

Live a Colorful Life said...

Beautiful! Your book just arrived in the mail yesterday (thank you, Amazon!!!) and what eye candy in it. Highly recommended!

connie said...

I love this quilt. It is amazing!!!

Amy said...

So beautiful! I can't wait to see this finished. I'll definitely be back on Thursday! ;)

Jodi said...

I can't wait! And it looks gorgeous just as is!

Katherine said...

I can't get enough of your beautiful designs. It's so uplifting to visit your blog and I'm in love with the palette of this design. Gorgeous!

~Michelle~ said...

I agree, renting time on a long-arm is well worth the expense...and it's such a time saver!

meli B said...

I had never thought of renting time. I guess you would have to know what you were doing first on one of those giants.
Congrats on the magazine story too. What a buzz!

skye said...

Really gorgeous!!! Looking forward to seeing it quilted!
You create such beautiful work!!

Cathe from Santa Barbara Quilting Retreats said...

I just got my new Fresh Quilting Fearless Color, Design & Inspiration. I love it! One of my favorite shops is carrying it the Fabric Quarter in Santa Barbara, www.fabricquarter.com Your book is wonderful and very inspiring. Thank for the boost. Cathe from Santa Barbara

Mariel said...

Gorgeous! I have been thinking about going to the local rent a long arm place ever since I heard about it. Might need to get on that....

Gadia said...

looks divine - will make me feel at home and blessed with light and colour wherever we may roam. thank you.