Friday, May 24, 2013

First, second, third...

Confessional moment: I think out loud and a fair amount of my dialogue sounds like this, "First, I'll empty the dishwasher, then I'll put in a load of laundry, and then I'll start patterning that fabric for so-and-so's order." I don't really make written lists, but I make list pronouncements throughout my day. I guess it's how I organize. Maybe it's even one of the habits of highly effective people? I should look that up.
So, without further ado, first, I'm going to announce the winner of the magazine giveaway, then I'd like to respond to a specific comment left for Wednesday's post by one of you fabulous people, and then I actually have a topic for today, complete with lots of images.

The winner is:
  Debbie said...
Wonderful pillows, Malka! I've never had a chance to see this magazine.

Debbie, please email me at malka@stitchindye.com with you address and I'll get your magazine to you as fast as my carrier pigeon, Herbie, can carry it.

Also, if you're disappointed that you didn't win this time, don't be. People, I am moving and I have more stuff to giveaway. There will most definitely be another giveaway next week and the week beyond that and.... get the picture?

On to the second item on my to-do list. Wednesday's post touched on the idea of projects that don't reach our expected fruition and it prompted this response:
Sarah said...
I'd love a post about the "failure" project! It happens to all of us and we could commiserate with you. :)
My settings for my blog are such that your comments appear in my inbox and, once I've read them, I move them to a separate folder. This keeps my inbox fairly clear and makes sure that when Nissan sends me my car payment statement, I don't ignore it. I elected to keep Sarah's comment in my inbox, so I could return to it and think about what she said. Interestingly enough, several other folks commented in a similar vein afterwards. I was really struck by this idea, that we, in general, but I, specifically, should share our failures with each other. There's a lot to learn there. I was so struck by it that I decided to finish the "failure", shoot pictures of it, and discuss it here. I'm not quite finished with it and it's not easy to work on something that doesn't feel "right", but I'm determined to showcase it here next week and virtually discuss why it doesn't work, at least for me. Thank you, Sarah, Molli, and Kim for the suggestion.

Oh boy, onto #3. Interestingly enough, the third item on my list also has to do with self-discovery. I have claimed, as recently as just a couple of weeks ago to a roomful of quilters, that the circle is my favorite shape. Truth be told, I claimed that here years ago. I'm fond of saying, " Telly from Sesame Street loves the triangle and I am passionate about circles." So, it was with much dismay as I took pictures of works both in progress and items that I've unearthed in the archeological process that is clearing up before moving, that I discovered I am not a circle person. I am a hexagon person.

Apparently, I  have a lot to learn about myself.
I'll have to add that to the out loud list.

3 comments:

Aliceart said...

Love your pictures! Maybe you were a hexagon person, and now you're a circle and hexagon person. We're always changing and growing!

Sarah @ sarahquilts.com said...

I'm so glad our comments made you think, and I'm interested to see the future post about it!

Love all your hexagon projects! I have been obsessed with those lately too.

Anonymous said...

I think that hexagons can look circular so you can still be a circle person