Monday, May 13, 2013

So... What's New?

Whenever my mother calls or even when I call her, she always starts the conversation by asking, " So (though actually she uses the Yiddish phrase "Nu"), what's new?" That's not particularly unusual. Most folks have some version of that in their interactions with others. What is unique with my mom is that once I've answered the question and detailed all that is new in my life and probably even asked her in return what is new with her, she continues to ask the question...in the same conversation. It's not that she's forgotten because the next time the question appears it's phrased slightly differently. "So, what else is new," she asks. And when my response is, " nothing else is new," she incredulously asks, "Nothing?" It's like a verbal two-step we dance together every time we chat and it's been going on for years. I honestly don't know what I'll do the day I call her up and she doesn't start off with that question.
So, in answer to my mom's much asked question, this is what's new here:
Four (don't let the stack of 3 confuse you) new pillow covers going into my shop.
These two were made a while back to feature my a stitch in color line for Moda. They've been sitting in a closet that I call the "Art Materials Room", but is really just a catchall place for extra projects, fabric, yarn, and such. I'm in the process of moving and hopefully these guys are too.
The second pair of pillows were made during a workshop I was teaching a couple of weeks ago. In the past I've avoided sewing during workshops because I didn't want the students to feel neglected. What I've noticed though is that, not having anything to do while my students are working away leads me to hover a little too much. I tend to become the "helicopter instructor". So, I figured that as long as I'm working on the same project they are, my sewing along with them is actually a good thing and might just help the teaching process.
These two pillow tops were created in an Improvisational Piecing class I taught to the Kingwood Area Quilt Guild and are based on the techniques and design of my "Nate" quilt from my book, Fresh Quilting.
Both pillows feature a mix of hand dyed and commercial cottons and are totally improvisationally pieced. They're also in my store waiting for new homes.
So...that's what's new with me. How about you?

8 comments:

Silvia LGD (Little Green Doll) said...

Love all this colour! They're very nice :)

CapitolaQuilter said...

Watching a teacher work while at a workshop seems a very good way to learn. I may have to cut into my fabric to make something similar

Tammy said...

wow what yummy delicious colors

em's scrapbag said...

Love the happy pillows!
I'm getting ready to sandwich and hopefully start quilting a quilt today.

Lisa K said...

I'm laughing at the "nu" conversation. My mother and I have the exact same one every week!!
With my grandmother, it was "what's by you?" In English or Yiddish!
I love this fabric! I'm making something with it now. And I love the pillows!!

Katherina {stitchydoo} said...

Love them. So beautiful!

Anonymous said...

So funny. I have the exact same kind of conversations with my dad on the phone.

Stitch and Yarn said...

These colours are fantastic! I just love these cushions.