Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Gathering

I've been making samples and such for my trip to Cleveland next week. My samples will be a combination of newly made fabrics and items specifically created for this segment/workshop and a few pieces I already had that were made using the technique I'll be teaching.


I made this 12x16" pillow cover to try out some different shapes. I've had this triangle for a long time and wanted to create this particular pattern. I've pieced windmill blocks and though it would be interesting to mimc that pattern in dye.


I reimagined my "Nate" pattern, but this time as a table runner. I hate to make things without some kind of purpose in mind, so this piece is destined for our new coffee table.
I hadn't originally planned on the white spaces in between the blocks, but when I haphazardly slapped the dyed and pieced squares on to my design wall I really liked the white in between, so I decided to incorporate that into the design.


Also new are these step-outs to demonstrate the process.
There is one piece I'm bringing that is about four years old and very special.


I made this quilt for my eldest girl when she was 13. I can't even remember how many hours I spent dyeing the squares in different color combinations. It was all worth it though. She loves it and uses it daily. In fact I asked her if I could borrow the quilt for the taping and she agreed. I pulled it off the bed and set it aside so that I could wash it and pick off dog hairs. I hadn't quite gotten to it yesterday, but when I went to retrieve it this afternoon she had put it back on her bed. I'm assuming that she didn't want to spend the night without if she didn't have to. That right there is the reason I make stuff.

33 comments:

froghair said...

*sigh* your work is so, so, soooo beautiful. thank you for sharing it with us.

Julie Alvarez said...

This is so sweet.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, that quilt you made your daughter is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. I love the fabric you create. I WISH I was close enough to take a workshop. Oh those lucky people who get to work with you :-)

Tangled Stitch said...

I love the first pillow. Love the colors and the triangles and your quilts are to die for. Wow.

Lisa said...

I just ADORE those triangles! The quilt you made for your daughter is also so striking. I can see why she wants to keep it on her bed. I just love your work!

Carmen Rose said...

That quilt is amazing with such beautiful colors, spectacular! Lucky daughter!

Anonymous said...

I'm so inspired by your work -- the colors are so rich and luscious. I can definitely see fabric dying in my future. After a few years of art journaling, I had to start making my own books, my own paper, my own book cloth, etc... I bet it's the same kind of satisfaction not to have to rely on a fabric store for just the right piece.

Kathy - Pink Chalk Studio said...

Wow! The windmill pattern is absolutely spectacular. It took me a minute to realize you'd dyed the pattern instead of piecing it. Truly amazing. Have a blast at the taping!

Anonymous said...

I love your work. It is so different and for that reason so fresh. A lot of food for thought and designing. I have so many ideas in my head that I want to do. Thank you for sharing.

Amanda Jean said...

your daugther's quilt is stunning! my kids LOVE the quilts i make for them, too. it's so rewarding!

Anonymous said...

malka, you continue to wow! love these windmills. and your daughter's quilt, oh those rich colors. on top of your innovative processes, you have a true gift for using color.

can't wait to see your QA segment & workshop. have fun!

ilovebabyquilts said...

Gorgeous! It must be nice to be surrounded by so much color all the time.

Andi said...

If I were your daughter and had a quilt like that, I wouldn't want to spend a night without it either.
It's stunning!!
Andi :-)

Sue said...

Your work is amazing! Do you teach workshops in Austin?

PrairiePeasant said...

Love those triangles! Your work continues to be so refreshing and inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

Hi! I'm Wendi! said...

Your daughter's quilt is absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Ditto everyone else--your work is amazing. Color, design, proportion. The thought of dying fabric is daunting, though. Do you have patterns, or a book?

Kelly Fletcher said...

I'd also want to sleep under it every night if I had a quilt like that!

Janis said...

Yes, her quilt is so amazing. I wish I had your sense of color. You take solids to a whole new level of their own. Amazing, that's all!

jacquie said...

another amazing piece of work! wishing you a great time with your tv debut...just know i'll be recording the show!

Quiltycat said...

I love your quilts!Your feel for colors is amazing.
nichi

Kerri said...

love, love love them all!! they are amazing!

Emily said...

What a wonderful and sweet story! Those are very special moments when you realize that your family loves the things you make.

susan said...

still lovin your stuff even if i dont comment that much. i remember you saying you are working on a book and am really looking forward to that. good luck on your trip.

KateKwiltz said...

Wow! That quilt is extraordinary! Love the quilting, and love the pillow!
QA's always on my TiVo list -- I'm looking forward to seeing your spot! Best of luck!

Mel G said...

What a wonderful story, that would definitely motivate me to create things!! :) Love quilt, pillow, and table runner. Thanks for taking the time to share your work with us!

Kris said...

Hi! I used to visit here all the time, but my computer crashed and I lost all my favourites. Today you were featured by etsy in a newsletter, hooray! I love your work and rushed right over to say hi. So glad to have discovered you again!

Unknown said...

I so love all of your work but especially your daughter's quilt. Thanks for sharing these with all of us.

Pat said...

It is wonderful. I would feel the same way - she is covered by her Mother's love!

erin, maker of chimes said...

I LOVE that quilt! I wouldn't want to sleep without it either :)

Chveya said...

Your quilts are so so so so beautiful and amazing. The amount of work in each one is daunting and inspiring. Where do you find the time to do all of that and blog about it? You really must be an absolutley amazing woman. Thanks for sharing. You send ou tthe spark of creativity to us all!!

Janet said...

I was an art teacher for 25 years and a home ec teacher before that. Now retired, I devote more of my time to quilting. I love your use of color and design. I find your interest in unusual "things" and photography inspirational and fun.

Bison Girl said...

Fabulous quilt!