Monday, February 10, 2014

More Supersizing, More Grandmas

Just in case you thought I was done with re-interpreting the Grandmother's Flower Garden pattern, I present this:
 Truth be told, I don't know when I'll tire of re-imagining this pattern. It's possible that this is true of every traditional block or pattern, but I feel that there are so many possible variations with this one. Maybe because it can be broken down either in hexagons or triangles, maybe because it can feel simultaneously simple and complicated. I don't honestly know, but I have yet to feel that I'm done laying with these shapes.
As for details, this version is a baby quilt measuring about 36" square and crafted out of a variety of solids and a couple of prints including a black and white print to accent the intense colors.
I love rounded corners and have used this little gimmick a lot lately, but I think it softens a quilt and makes it feel just wee bit more playful. Seems appropriate fro a quilt meant for a little one.
As with many of my supersize projects, this can be one of several blocks in a larger quilt or a stand alone baby quilt...like this one.

7 comments:

Brenda said...

looks great. and that yellow and blue print for the binding really finishes it off nicely.

SuzyMcQ said...

As always, so incredibly inspiring!

Emily G said...

Wow! That looks really cool! great colors!

Sandy said...

love this!! what thread colour did you quilt with? Stitch length? I am so in the beginning learning stag for quilting. I use a lot of high contrast for piecing, not thinking about the quilting. This looks perfect, you see the quilting without the thread colour taking over anywhere.

nanci said...

Love the quilt & the colors!! Is the pattern available supersized & all?

Carla said...

It. Is. Gorgeous.

Jaye said...

How about this version: http://www.artquiltmaker.com/blog/2014/02/epp-stars-again/ ??